Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course if you’re there on the 15th of January, you may get a glimpse of the rare and elusive salt water Green Frog! 🐸
Then if you see the Frog Fish too, it should be a very Froggie Day! 😁
🐸

Well, maybe just my bad luck.
or not knowing where to look.
Somebody had to show me my first froggie. When I saw it, I knew what to look for. I got a lay of the area, and learned where they like to be.
Striated are often out in the open, dwarfs are hidden during the day

or not knowing where to look.
Somebody had to show me my first froggie. When I saw it, I knew what to look for. I got a lay of the area, and learned where they like to be.
Striated are often out in the open, dwarfs are hidden during the day
This could be me :)

This could be me :)
The dirty finned scuba goddess is a pretty good choice if you are looking for a guide. Just bring plenty of air if you are going to dive with her. She seems to have gills. She never runs out.

I set my alarm for 5:30 to be on the road before 7 am for the 9am high tide. Looked at the radar, turned off the alarm, went back to sleep.
May try again for Sunday, even if it will be a cluster...

I set my alarm for 5:30 to be on the road before 7 am for the 9am high tide. Looked at the radar, turned off the alarm, went back to sleep.
May try again for Sunday, even if it will be a cluster...
It wasn’t terrible this morning, but then again my baseline is the Gulf off Clearwater, so anything that isn’t 10ft viz and low 60 degrees in the winter is a good dive to me. I’ll post some photos once I have them processed later tonight.

^^^
Checked out your photos. Link no good. This is the link that works.

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday and today. Arrived at 0800 on both days, for tides at 0827, and 0907 respectively. Wednesday was crowded for a normal week day 0827 high tide. But given the holiday week I would call it not too crowded at all. Today was less crowded than yesterday, the rain kept everybody but divers from using the park. Entered on the west side both days at about 0820. Visibility Wednesday was about 30ft, and slightly better today at 35ft. Sea temp was the same both days holding steady at 75f. Did REEF fish counts on both days. 53 species in 60 minutes, and 67 species in 60 minutes respectively.

Highlights yesterday were a Brittle Star I cannot identify, and a Scorpionfish I cannot identify. Highlights today were cutting loose a Striped Burrfish that had a hook in its mouth, and the rest of the rig snagged so it could not move very far. I could not even see the hook, so I cut the line an inch from its mouth and it swam away. Also found a Sailors Choice with a similar predicament. I could see the hook in its mouth, but was afraid of doing more damage trying to remove it. The whole rig was also still attached with sinkers and spare hooks. I was able to unclip the leader from the hook, and the fish swam away. Found what I think is the biggest Giant Hermit Crab in the biggest Florida Conch Shell I have seen, for reference the survey slate is 6"x9". Lastly took some images of Lionfish I first found about six weeks ago, they grow fast. Respectively, Unidentified Brittle Star, Unidentified Scorpionfish, Giant Hermit Crab, Juvenile Lionfish, and Sailors Choice before fishing rig removal.

12-27-23 Brittle Star.JPG
12-27-23 Reef Scorpion.JPG
12-28-23 Giant Hermit Crab.JPG
12-28-23 Lionfish.JPG
12-28-23 Sailors Choice.JPG

I think the scorpionfish is a juvie spotted. I took one similar years ago..
(Ha! up to 3 fish now! The triplefin shot on Yellow Brick Road, the other two at the bridge)

As promised, here's a few photos from my dives. I did three dives over the last three days, 12/26 PM, 12/27 PM, and 12/28 AM. Night one I stayed on the snorkel trail, though there were a lot of divers out and lots of silt bring kicked up. Night two I went under the east bridge. Far fewer divers than the night before, and much less particulate in the water, though I got very cold early on and called the dive after only 45 minutes. This morning I was dressed more appropriately and spent 95 minutes under the east bridge again. Had good visibility, and spent a lot of time moving slowly and looking for all the little things. I'm still on the hunt for octopuses again, (any) nudibranchs, and of course the frogfishes that everyone is always looking for.

Great Barracuda (Sphyraena barracuda)
2023-12-28-BHB-Morning-Dive-0006-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Sharpnose Puffer (Canthigaster rostrata)
2023-12-26-BHB-Night-Dive-0018-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Banded Coral Shrimp (Stenopus hispidus)
2023-12-27-BHB-Night-Dive-0014-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Spotted Moray Eel (Gymnothorax moringa)
2023-12-28-BHB-Morning-Dive-0045-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Spotted Scorpionfish (Scorpaena plumieri)
2023-12-28-BHB-Morning-Dive-0058-Enhanced-NR.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom