Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recall that when we were talking about no swim advisories last week we wondered about the times the samples were taken. I put an email request into the page that shows results, but didn't have the time of tests. Below is the response I got from the health department today. Note that on 10/24 high tide was at 0802, and when they retested on 10/26 high tide was at 0930. So the first test was after high tide, but closer to high tide than low tide, and the retest was taken 25 minutes away from high tide. Seems from the email though that tests are done in the morning regardless of the tide.

Samples are normally collected in the morning in Palm Beach County. Phil Foster Park was sampled Monday, 10/24/2022, at 10:35 AM and Wednesday, 10/26/2022, at 9:55 AM. The Wednesday sample was a resample in response to the poor result from Monday’s sample. Samples are collected in the morning due to the time needed to complete the sample run and then have the laboratory process the samples.

If samples show poor results then an advisory will be issued and normally a resample will be conducted for the beach in question. Depending on circumstances more than one resample may collected but most resamples show water quality will have improved. Before an advisory is lifted testing will have to show improved water quality.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1245 for a 1501 high tide. The park was uncrowded. Did the snorkel trail before diving. Visibility was much improved from yesterday, 25ft, 82f, 50% blue/50% green, with particulate still in the water. Did not observe a single Moon Jellyfish, Pink Meanie, or Atlantic Sea Nettle, still plenty of Comb Jellies. Did a REEF fish count 39 species in 50 minutes. Returned from snorkeling and entered the water on the westside. Did another REEF fish count 65 species in 65 minutes. The pair of Orange Filefish from last week are still hanging out in the same algae patch, never seen Orange Filefish stay in the same place like that over a period of days. Respectively, Pygmy Filefish, Slender Filefish, and Striped Burrfish resting on a Cushion Star.

11-01-22 Pygmy Filefish.jpeg
11-01-22 Slender Filefish.jpeg
11-01-22 Striped Burrfish.jpeg

Recall that when we were talking about no swim advisories last week we wondered about the times the samples were taken. I put an email request into the page that shows results, but didn't have the time of tests. Below is the response I got from the health department today. Note that on 10/24 high tide was at 0802, and when they retested on 10/26 high tide was at 0930. So the first test was after high tide, but closer to high tide than low tide, and the retest was taken 25 minutes away from high tide. Seems from the email though that tests are done in the morning regardless of the tide.

Samples are normally collected in the morning in Palm Beach County. Phil Foster Park was sampled Monday, 10/24/2022, at 10:35 AM and Wednesday, 10/26/2022, at 9:55 AM. The Wednesday sample was a resample in response to the poor result from Monday’s sample. Samples are collected in the morning due to the time needed to complete the sample run and then have the laboratory process the samples.

If samples show poor results then an advisory will be issued and normally a resample will be conducted for the beach in question. Depending on circumstances more than one resample may collected but most resamples show water quality will have improved. Before an advisory is lifted testing will have to show improved water quality.
I have noticed over the last several decades that whenever there are no swim advisory’s in Northern Palm Beach County that the low tide is in the AM and that we do not get the advisory when high tide is in the AM.

Thanks for taking the time to inquire.

Snuck outa work today to hit the bridge. 6:04 PM high tide. Traffic and more traffic cost us an extra 20 min drive time and cut in to our bottom time. By the time we got there at 5:25, there was still plenty of parking and divers in the parking lot.
We got intel on vis, and decided that it wasn't 0, so go for it. Maxed out at maybe 10ft, and dropped to less than 5 shortly after the tide turn.
Only took a couple photos. Stumbled across this little beauty. Super tiny. Maybe an inch.
The rest of the dive was Ok, we turned the dive when the viz dropped so low and we started losing the sun to darkness.
Oh, the catfish are fun to see, but with the approaching darkness, they spook at the lights. So no shots.
1335 seahorse.jpg

Went to the bridge today, not for diving, but for investigating the state of the water. As I though it might be, the water was green/white color, the lifeguard's condition chalkboard reported 75f sea temp. I did see a few hearty souls swimming and as I was pulling out observed two individuals in the water with masks and snorkels. The green/white color is the kiss of death with regards to visibility. Even with yucky green/brown color all visibility is not lost, but with green/white color visibility is zero. Often at the bridge the green/brown color can be flushed back to nice blue seawater in a couple tidal exchanges. In my experience when the green/white color is there it can persist for a week or even two before being flushed out. For sure, this coming weekend is a bust for diving at the bridge. I took a few above the water images, guessing this blue matting they laid down was to provide wheelchair access all the way to the water? Apparently it did not fair well during the storm. It is easy to see by the southeast beach the King Tide is full swing. The park seemed to be in relatively good condition, and except for the sunken boat hull on the northside, there was little debris in the water or on the beach. Respectively, BHB southwest side, blue matting under the bridge, southeast side, southeast beach, and northside with sunken boat hull.
11-11-22 BHB.jpg
11-11-22 BHB1.jpg
11-11-22 BHB2.jpg
11-11-22 BHB3.jpg
11-11-22 BHB4.jpg

Thanks for the update. You saved me a trip. Expected conditions similar to what you reported. Le Sigh.. maybe next weekend..
Ocean is not any better. Maybe away from shore, you might get 10ft... but I'm not in the know with those who have a boat..

I got some second hand reports the other day of vis being 40 feet when you are down at 100 ft deep. It was reported that the murky stuff was floating on top of clean water. This is second hand hearsay from me, so take that as you will.

What I did see myself today in the ICW, was conditions that were the same as pipehorse showed/described, when I looked from the surface. I had some fairly important maintenance diving that I wanted to do at high tide today, but when I saw the water quality, I changed my mind. I did see one boat with a commercial diver putting through the area, so at least someone is still going into that stuff.

What I saw yesterday on the outside, was that the green murk was not everywhere. It was patchy. Blue water was also in the area. I was about a mile out at most. I covered from the head mark of Palm Beach inlet (AKA Lake Worth Inlet) to the Breakers.

Ok. I need some help from the BHB Trolls.

I have a flight credit from American I need to use by end of Feb. I'm thinking of spending 2 or three days at BHB to see all the splendid wonders of which you collectively speak.

Is there anywhere to stay close by and less than $75 per night from where I can walk to the bridge? I was there last month with the Dolphin Dream and when I walked over the Bridge, everything seems like rich people land. All I do is dive and sleep so not looking for a resort or whatever. I'll even stay in crew quarters if they are close and cheap enough. Anybody got a couch?

Will one of the local dive operators let me take tanks, dive flag and weights on my own to the beach or do I have to go with one of their DM's / instructors? What are the logistics of diving at BHB if I'm solo and completely clueless?

Sorry, but I don’t know anything about lodging near the BHB. You could contact Pura Vida Diving and/or ForceE Scuba to inquire about tanks and weights. I don’t believe that they offer flag & float rentals, but it couldn’t hurt to ask. Drift dives in the ocean require a more substantial flag/float/line than you’ll need at the bridge. If a rental or loaner is not available you could purchase an inexpensive, lightweight rig for your visit and either bring it home with you or donate it to the cause.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom