Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, but I don’t know anything about lodging near the BHB. You could contact Pura Vida Diving and/or ForceE Scuba to inquire about tanks and weights. I don’t believe that they offer flag & float rentals, but it couldn’t hurt to ask. Drift dives in the ocean require a more substantial flag/float/line than you’ll need at the bridge. If a rental or loaner is not available you could purchase an inexpensive, lightweight rig for your visit and either bring it home with you or donate it to the cause.
good idea. i wonder if Wings has one. If I remember correctly, they actually might.

flag & float rentals
Pura Vida has float and flag rentals for sure. I think it was cheap, like $5 a day. I'm like 75% sure ForceE has them too. You're free to take them to the beach with you, no DM required.

I would ask about a night dive permit too, technically required after sunset, though I've never heard of anyone getting fined for not having one.

anywhere to stay close by
There is a house between the park and Pura Vida on Blue Heron Blvd. that advertises bnb accommodations, though I don't know the price. Looks like there are a few other homestay offerings within walking distance roughly in your price range if you are flexible on dates.

Just did a quick check for you. Pura Vida’s site states that they rent flags for $10.00

Force E has a budget float/flag for sale at $38.00

Sweet. Thanks, guys.

Going to be VERY tough to find accommodations in that price range in February. Tanks, weight, and flags are available at Pura Vida or Force E (both are close). Best to have a rental car to carry gear around also. Not really feasible to lug tanks from either of those shops to the bridge on foot.

What about parking near the bridge? If I rent a car I might as well just stay somewhere off the island and drive.

What about parking near the bridge? If I rent a car I might as well just stay somewhere off the island and drive.
I was there as an out of state visitor a few weeks ago. I found parking plentiful during the weekdays but tight (but available) on weekends.

I stayed at a VRBO, which was cheaper than a hotel. You'll definitely save money by renting a car and staying somewhere remote rather than trying to stay within walking distance.

This is coming together. Thank you, everyone.
I keep reading online that the time to dive is during slack tide. Does that mean that that is the only time you can dive under the bridge?
I just can't see spending the money for one dive per day.

This is coming together. Thank you, everyone.
I keep reading online that the time to dive is during slack tide. Does that mean that that is the only time you can dive under the bridge?
I just can't see spending the money for one dive per day.

Everyone who dives the bridge does one dive per day almost exclusively. Keep in mind it is a LONG dive. You need to get past the idea of just one dive a day somehow being "bad". If that dive is 2-3 hours long, it is the equivalent of 2-4 dives elsewhere.

It's not that you CAN'T dive at other times. No one will stop you. The question is do you really want to? Currents pick up and the viz drops, often to just about zero. Diving outside of the 2-3 hours of slack tide is typically just not enjoyable and sometimes not safe.

With that said, some days there is a really early high tide right around sunrise or just before and then another in the early evening for a night dive. On those rare occasions you can get in 2 dives in a day. I've done it a time or two.

fair enough. now if i can just find an decent place to stay that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
anybody got a couch they'd rent me? hell, I'll even sleep in the back seat of my rental car if you let me park in your driveway. seems like even airbnb single rooms are going for upwards of $80 per night. sheesh.

i'm too spoiled by southeast asia and mexico.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom