Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1210 for a 1355 high tide. The park was not crowded. Entered the west side at 1225. Visibility was much improved since Monday, 10ft-20ft depending on location. Sea temp at 78f. Did not see another diver for the entirety of the dive. Did a REEF fish count 55 species in 62 minutes. Observed 2 large Spotted Eagle Rays, and one Snook. But did not catch images of any of them. Respectively, Atlantic Calico Scallop, Channel Flounder, Juvenile Porkfish, Sand Diver, Spadefish, and Lumpy Overgrown Sponge the most common sponge species at BHB.
12-16-22 Atlantic Calico Scallop .jpeg
12-16-22 Channel Flounder1.jpeg
12-16-22 Juvenile Porkfish.jpeg
12-16-22 Sand Divers.jpeg
12-16-22 Spadefish.jpeg
12-16-22 Sponge.jpeg

Visibility was much improved since Monday, 10ft-20ft depending on location. Sea temp at 78f. Did not see another diver for the entirety of the dive.
We were there Wed, thought I might have seen your truck but after looking over the fishing pier, it was going to be 3-5 ft so we had lunch and left. Long drive .. but better than a long drive and a gear cleaning session :) Sounds promising despite the cold

I was surprised to see the flounder. They usually like colder water. Some years, they never make it this far south. This year you seem to have been finding them since October.

I was surprised to see the flounder. They usually like colder water. Some years, they never make it this far south. This year you seem to have been finding them since October.
I always see Flounder at the bridge, year round.

Went to the bridge for diving this morning. Arrived at 0815 for a 0756 tide. The park was not crowded, rain had already passed through the area but it was still cloudy. The tide was a very high tide this morning easily washing over the bridge footings, and almost up to the sidewalk on the westside. Entered the water at 0840 on the westside. Visibility was 20ft, sea temp was 78f. Did a REEF fish count 52 species in 65 minutes. Completely forgot to bring the housing for my phone so no images from today. Nevertheless, I have a large assortment of images not previously posted here before and taken at BHB. Respectively, Humbug Dascyllus (an invasive Pacific Fish, removed shortly after this photo was taken), Juvenile Jackknife Fish, Phidiana lynceus (no common name), Gold Spotted Eeel (similar to the Sharptail Eel but far less common at BHB), Rainbow Wrasse, Bank Sea Bass (a more northly fish, rare as far south as BHB), Grass Porgy aka Shad Porgy, and Pale Anemones.

ED28BH01 (2).jpg

EE05BH144 (2).JPG

ED28BH04R (2).jpg

EE06BH066 (2).jpg

EE07BH127 (2).jpg

EE13BH149 (2).JPG

ED29BH023 (2).JPG

EE25BH111 (2).JPG

Went to the bridge for diving on Saturday. I left my house wearing my wetsuit folded down to the waist, and my Surf Fur coat over it. Arrived at 0825 for a 0936 high tide. The park was not crowded. The air temperature was cold. 44f, and it was breezy as well, with the breeze out of the northwest. You could see the water vapor rising off the water because the 30f differential in temperature. I realize for some readers up north 44f would seem like balmy weather right now, but for year round residents in south Florida it is cold. Several times I thought to myself, the bridge where be here tomorrow and the next day, just go home, have breakfast and get warm. But I managed to push through and enter the water about 0855 on the westside. It was nice getting in the water, although I was getting a 76f reading on the computer it really did feel like bathtub water, because of the differential with the air temperature. Visibility was about 20ft. I was on a pair of seahorses maybe 10 minutes into the dive. Looks like one of them is pregnant. Pretty sure I am taking many pictures this year of the same seahorse. The light brown blotches against the dark body seem to be same as in other photos going back to March. The second seahorse located only a few feet away looked like he was pregnant, not sure I have been photographing that one. Pretty sure seahorses are monogamous and stay mated for life. Roamed around looking for new species for addition to the Blue Heron Bridge Project on inaturalist, and did a REEF fish survey of 58 species in 75 minutes. I did find a species of sponge I had not photographed before, it's scientific name is Lissodendoryx sigmata, it does not have a common name, pictured below. Also found a Flying Gurnard near the end of the dive. A very interesting species to watch as it works along the bottom using both specially adapted pectoral fins and ventral fins to hunt for food. Once I exited the water I had a strategy for dealing with the cold. Drop my tailgate, get my bc off, start my truck and put my Surf Fur Coat on. Open the doors on the east side of the truck, and let the heat blast out. I don't know why, but even in cold weather the heater on the F150 works fast. Then with the Surf Fur Coat work my way out of the wet suit. Even though it was still in the high 40's the wind had died down, and once the wet wetsuit is off the cold is not a big deal, especially with the sun out. I intended to go Christmas and today, I can deal with the cold as long as there is some sunshine, but it was just to overcast to be bothered. Respectively, Water Vapor, Sponge Lissodendoryx sigmata , Seahorse1, Pregnant Seahorse, Polkadot Batfish, Sur Fur Selfie, Truck, Flying Gurnard Video, and Flying Gurnard Video
12-24-2022 Water Vapor.jpg
12-24-22 Sponge.jpeg
12-24-2022 Seahorse1.jpeg
12-24-22 Seahorse2.jpeg
12-24-2022 Polkadot Batfish.jpeg
12-24-2022 Sur Fur Selfie.jpeg
12-24-2022 Truck.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving on Saturday. I left my house wearing my wetsuit folded down to the waist, and my Surf Fur coat over it. Arrived at 0825 for a 0936 high tide. The park was not crowded. The air temperature was cold. 44f, and it was breezy as well, ...
. ...Once I exited the water I had a strategy for dealing with the cold. Drop my tailgate, get my bc off, start my truck and put my Surf Fur Coat on. Open the doors on the east side of the truck, and let the heat blast out. I don't know why, but even in cold weather the heater on the F150 works fast. Then with the Surf Fur Coat work my way out of the wet suit. Even though it was still in the high 40's the wind had died down, and once the wet wetsuit is off the cold is not a big deal, especially with the sun out. I intended to go Christmas and today, I can deal with the cold as long as there is some sunshine, but it was just to overcast ...
I was wondering if anyone made it out to the bridge during the cold snap. Thanks for posting.

It's been a number of years since I've done any cold climate diving. In the past, I had a number of different methods for dealing with that. One was bringing along a cooler full of hot water & a 12vdc pump with a spray nozzle so that I could get a quick hot rinse of fresh water. The next step was immediately toweling off while still wearing the wetsuit, to get it as dry as possible. If I was going to do another dive, then the boat coat went on over that & I waited. If I was done diving for the day, like you said, getting that wet suit off quickly became a priority.

Some boat coats have pockets that reach all the way through from the outside to the inside, so you can use your hands under the coat to get stripped & dressed. Some boat coats lack that feature. When choosing a boat coat, that feature is a must have for me. I've seen $100 boat coats that had that feature & $200 boat coats that did not.

You could see the water vapor rising off the water because the 30f differential in temperature.
We don't see that "steam" very often. Pretty soon you will be bumping into manatees at the bridge on your dives.

Why do the manatees go to Blue Heron Bridge? Do they stay at blue heron all winter?

Why do the manatees go to Blue Heron Bridge? Do they stay at blue heron all winter?
It varies.

A couple of years ago, we had one that was basically a full time resident for the season. He (or she?) would do daily circles around the little island that Phil Foster park is on. Sometimes a second one would join him (her?). Does anyone here know how to tell the males from the females?

I usually see more of them by the nearby power station & just south of there. The warm water coming out of the station seems to attract them this time of year. There is some kind of observation area by what is called "matinee lagoon" over that area. Manatee Lagoon | Home I have never gone to the official observation facility, but I have dropped in from an anchored boat on occasion. That practice seems to be frowned upon, but tolerated, as long as you don't swim inside the barriers or try to touch the critters.

They sometimes hang around docks & shallow beaches too. They move with the water temperature & sometimes the weather.

If you are scrubbing down a deck, they will sometimes show up & beg for a drink of water from the hose. I think that you are probably not supposed to accommodate that request, but some people do.

I saw a little kid get screamed at pretty badly for petting one at a dock a few years ago. I'm not sure if that was done to protect the kid or the critter. They are big, but they tend to be pretty docile.

They have some kind of protected status. The speed limits in parts of the ICW get reduced this time of year due to their anticipated presence.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom