Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So a while back (I think it was on the Jupiter Dive Thread) @Johnoly was talking about keeping a dive calendar for times of the year various species are known to show up in the vicinity. I believe that October was the month for Oceanic Manta Rays to show up. There had been a rumor of sightings at BHB, but I could not remember if it was Oct/2020 or Oct/2021, I knew it was more than a rumor because I had filmed it with a Go Pro knockoff and just had never bothered to get the video off the card. I finally got around to it yesterday, the time stamp on the video and photo is incorrect, the correct date is Oct 4, 2020 because I submitted a REEF survey of the sighting. I know it was my sighting because there were no other surveys reported for BHB that day, and my survey Form ID: 5172608 has Oceanic Manta Ray. It was on the east side north of the bridge with the tide starting to go back out. As some of you might have observed, often when the tide starts going back out there is a distinct halocline. The more brackish greenish water will be moving over the more bluish saltwater. I was down in the nice blue water but the Manta Ray was above me, in the greenish water. Also I was shooting straight into the sun. All this to say that, the photo captured from the video is not good quality nor is the video, nevertheless you can clearly make out the Manta Ray.
20190201_142532_Moment(2).jpg
20190201_142532_Moment(3).jpg

@Johnoly was talking about keeping a dive calendar for times of the year various species are known to show up in the vicinity.
Just like the Right Whales last week & today in JUP/WPB, it's scary how 'consistent' big animals migrate so close to shore in our backyard. And on my calendar I've got confirmed Manta sightings on Oct 1st, 19th & 31st,,,,,so your October 4th date would be spot on. I keep the calendar just to remind me to look up instead of inside a lobster hole. You guys find so much more at BHB than we ever will out on the reefs, Cool video too !!

Finally bit the bullet and bought a TG 6 and housing.
Should be here today! Quite excited to be able to shoot this camera again. Woot!

Finally bit the bullet and bought a TG 6 and housing.
Should be here today! Quite excited to be able to shoot this camera again. Woot!
did you get a good price? where? I'm looking for one as well

I've been considering getting one as well. The model is getting old, but I'm not seeing a comparable replacement, from anyone. Will be interested to see what you think

UGGH!!!! It's supposed to be here by now..
Upon further review, somehow I put in the wrong address.. so much for secure transactions, the payment was processed with the wrong address (street was incorrect with the last number 2, it should of been 3)
Now UPS says it's corrected my address, but it won't show me what the new address is, or the incorrect address. Just that they resolved it, and now it should be here tomorrow..
UGH.. I wanted to take it with me tomorrow on my trip...
gonna have to wait to tear open the package till I get back.

FWIW, I was using the TG 6 sans housing. Got it off Ebay. LOVED it. But luck ran out at 10 months and it flooded. Promised myself I would not get another camera unless i got the housing too. I went round and round on deciding between the TG6 and the E-PL 10 and finally decided on the TG6 cause I love to shoot the small stuff.

I saw the sale on Backscatter for Black Friday, and it continued through Christmas. But I didn't bite. Wasn't THAT good of a deal. Finally decide the purchase, and the deal is over. Next day go to the Olympus site and they have a sale. Shoulda cancelled my Backscatter order and gone with Olympus cause the camera and housing was 20.03% off.

And now here I am all ready to play with the new camera. Except. It's. Not. Here.Yet.
I did buy a couple accessories from Olympus, which have been here a since Saturday..

Any recent condition reports? Temp and vis?
I didn't dive today but was at park for a little while 4 hours after high tide. Water was still looking good at that point in the tide, lifeguards had 72f posted. Thinking with little to no wind today, conditions should be nice tomorrow.

Photographers with gigantic macro rigs worth $10k-$15k and abysmal buoyancy skills to match were as abundant as Sergeant Majors today.
Sad, really. I hate seeing this: Photographers with gigantic macro rigs worth $10k-$15k and abysmal buoyancy skills to match were as abundant as Sergeant Majors today.

Sad, really. I hate seeing this: Photographers with gigantic macro rigs worth $10k-$15k and abysmal buoyancy skills to match were as abundant as Sergeant Majors today.
On Sunday, I took one picture of a bumblebee shrimp and next thing I know some guy is shoving his camera right up next to mine. I have no idea how he found me so fast, it was less than 5 ft of visibility. I gave him a dirty look and he left. I look down and my shrimp was nowhere to be seen. I forgot my tickle stick in the back of my truck, I just need to sharpen the tip :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom