Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grass Porgy/Shad Porgy Calamus actifrons , nice find BTW. The jellyfish is a Spot Winged Comb Jellyfish Ocyropsis maculata The flounder is a Channel Flounder Syacium micrurum I think at this point the fastest resource we have for identifying fish and critters at BHB is Blue Heron Project at inaturalist
Thank you.. I knew the name, but just couldn't recall it..

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0810 for a 0652 high tide. The park was mostly empty. Yes again, I realize this a little late for optimal diving but staying in front of the beach provides good enough visibility to make it worth my while. Also trying to break my personal record of REEF surveys of 431 in one year, so every dive counts. Had some technical difficulties with my Sealife Sportdiver this morning so left it behind in the truck. For those with a Sealife Sportdiver, a good method of fixing difficulties is to delete the app, and reload it. I didn't think of that until I got home, but it seems to have fixed the problem. Entered the water at 0840 and concentrated on snorkel trail and algae patches. Visbility was 15ft, and sea temp was 78f. Did a REEF fish count, 49 species in 70 minutes. Found my first frogfish of 2023. If memory serves, not used to seeing them until April or May. Keep hoping for a Smooth Butterfly Ray, because I have only seen them twice before usually just off the snorkel trail towards the beach, but no such luck. I have been thinking lately about tidal prisms. A tidal prism is "the volume of water in an inlet, bay, or estuary between mean high tide and mean low tide". It can also be for any geographic area one decides to calculate it over. If we calculated the tidal prism for the area north of Phil Foster Park, it would give us an idea of the volume of water flowing past the park. Perhaps something to do on a day I am not diving. The images posted today are from BHB, just not taken today because of camera difficulties. Respectively, Pair of Harlequin Bass, Scrawled Filefish, Lined Seahorse, Barracuda, and Shortfin Pipefish.
01-26-23 Pair Of Harlequin Bass.jpeg
01-26-23 Scrawled Filefish.jpeg
01-27-23 Lined Seahorse.jpeg
02-02-23 Barracuda.jpeg
02-02-23 Shortfin Pipefish.jpeg

Wow, the clarity and detail of your pics is amazing. What camera do you use?
Thanks! I have Nikon D850, 2x Sea & Sea YS-01 Solis strobes, and a 105mm lens. It's a pretty amazing camera, the autofocus is crazy fast. I couldn't upload the pictures because they were too big, so I took screenshots (hence why you see my mouse cursor in a couple).

Went to the bridge for diving today and yesterday. High tide today was 0805, yesterday it was 0730. Entered the water at 0825 on both days. Park was not crowded on either day. Visibility yesterday was 10ft with 76f sea temp. Given the rain I was expecting visibility to be worse today, but was pleasantly surprised to have 15ft vis, with 77f sea temp. Did the west side and a portion of the snorkel trail on both days. Did REEF fish counts on both days, of 65 minutes with 65 species and 68 species observed respectively. Observed my first Banded Blenny of the year at BHB. They are normally secretive and well camouflaged so they are always difficult to photograph. The one from today disappeared into a hole almost immediately, but patient waiting paid off, and the fish came back out of the hole. The image is not great and does not show its defining characteristic (flat cirri), but I did observe the cirri with my magnifying glass to confirm. Really the the only other species that it could be mistaken for is a Blackfin Blenny which has branching cirri. I have only seen Blackfin Blenny at LBTS never at BHB. Lots of seahorses yesterday, 2 chain pipefish, a small Eagle Ray today, and a Leopard Searobin. Also of note of above the waters surface was the large flock of Black Skimmers congregating on the east beach. Respectively, Leopard Searobin, Seahorses 1-6, Sheepheads in the Mist, Southern Flounder, Banded Blenny, Black Skimmers, Green Razorfish, and Chain Pipefish Video.
02-04-23 Leopard Searobin.jpeg
02-04-23 Seahorse1.jpeg
02-04-23 Seahorse2.jpeg
02-04-23 Seahorse3.jpeg
02-04-23 Seahorse4.jpeg
02-04-23 Seahorse5.jpeg
02-04-23 Seahorse6.jpeg
02-04-23 Sheepsheads in the Mist.jpeg
02-04-23 Southern Flounder.jpeg
02-05-23 Banded Blenny.jpeg
02-05-23 Black Skimmers.jpg
02-05-23 Green Razor.jpeg

Thanks for the regular updates!

My wife and I will be there on Feb. 25th, and maybe Feb. 26th before heading the rest of the way down to Key Largo. I know some of y’all go almost every day, but I was wondering if anyone would be down for diving with us.

Thanks! I have Nikon D850, 2x Sea & Sea YS-01 Solis strobes, and a 105mm lens. It's a pretty amazing camera, the autofocus is crazy fast. I couldn't upload the pictures because they were too big, so I took screenshots (hence why you see my mouse cursor in a couple).
I know you are an excellent photographer, but now I understand why your amazing shots are so sharp. Very nice setup!!

I know you are an excellent photographer, but now I understand why your amazing shots are so sharp. Very nice setup!!
I just do it for fun, you should see the photos taken by my dive buddies. The funny thing is, taking the picture is the easy part. Finding the critters and cleaning up the pictures takes a lot more practice.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0800 for an 0844 high tide. Most of the southern facing parking spaces were taken, but otherwise not crowded. Spotted another out of state license plate today, Tennessee, that leaves 11 states unaccounted for. It was a little cloudy when I arrived, but clouds gave way to sunshine in short order and it stayed that way for the duration of the dive. Entered the west side at 0825. It was the first day of the last five that I managed to enter the water before high tide. Visibility was improved from yesterday at about 20ft, still hazy, but I will take it without complaint anytime. Sea temp was at 77f. Stayed on the west side working around the main bridge pilings, and the pilings under the pier. Observed a Blue Hamlet under the fishing pier. Blue Hamlet are somewhat common on reefs but not at the Bridge, according to the REEF database they are seen .88% of the time, or 1 out of 111 surveys. Just before exiting found a small Grass Porgy aka Shad Porgy, another uncommon species. Wondering if it was the same specimen @Scuba_Jenny observed and posted a few days ago. Respectively, Pygmy Seabass, States Map, Flatface Swimming Crab Video, Grass Porgy Video, and Blue Hamlet Video.
02-06-23 Pygmy Sea Bass.jpeg
02-06-23 States Map .jpg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom