Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand that construction is going to take place on the bridge and swimming/diving will be closed around mid-March-May, any further news on this and maybe more specific dates in March, I was planning a trip down there.

I'd heard mid-March through mid-October, not May. I've also heard it is delayed a bit but that is 2nd hand information. I've seen no further details myself. I'd love to know if others have heard more exact timing.

Diving will not be closed, but to enter the water you will need to go up small hill to the east, cross Blue Heron Boulevard at the stoplight, and down the stairs to the beach. Not awful but definitely a longer walk than is typical. The entire beach UNDER the bridge will be closed.

I'd heard mid-March through mid-October, not May. I've also heard it is delayed a bit but that is 2nd hand information. I've seen no further details myself. I'd love to know if other have heard more exact timing.

Diving will not be closed, but to enter the water you will need to go up small hill to the east, cross Blue Heron Boulevard at the stoplight, and down the stairs to the beach. Not awful but definitely a longer walk than is typical. The entire beach UNDER the bridge will be closed.
I'm not looking forward to this walk at all. I love the convenience of walking from my truck directly to the water. On the other hand, maybe the park won't be crowded during the summer.

.. The entire beach UNDER the bridge will be closed.
Anybody who has worked/visited in New York City is familiar with "Sidewalk Scaffolding ". When walking underneath them I've had roofing, mortar, and even bricks dropped on top of me while walking underneath. That stuff is very strong and multi-layered. NYC does it so the sidewalk isn't closed and then people getting hit by cars crossing to the other detoured side.

You would think if New York City could do it, so could the contractor for the demo work above on the bridge too.

Diver_Tunnel.jpg

Went to the bridge for diving on Friday. I was there early enough on Friday to watch Palm Beach County Rescue conduct drills of a rescuer jumping off the fishing pier, to rescue an alleged distressed diver, and then have both be picked up on a jet ski with a floating backboard, and returned on the beach near the west entrance. This was well before high tide, and they were doing it then purposely so no divers or swimmers would be in the water. I am still confused as to how such a scenario would take place in real life, or if there is any documentation of distressed divers in need of rescuing from the pilings and pier because of the current, and oh btw, why is it not necessary for the east span where the current is stronger? I pointed out to one of the personnel that if the rescue was taking place when divers were actually in the water, the jet ski would be a hazard to other divers in the area that were not being rescued. She seemed to think it was an exceptional risk because the depth of the water there is "25ft, and the water is crystal clear, so the jet ski driver would be able to see divers underneath the water". I replied the deepest depth in that area was closer to 16ft, what happens when the water is not crystal clear as is the case quite often, and isn't the jet ski driver supposed to keep his/her eye on the people being rescued? The conversation quickly went downhill, and she referred me to her supervisor, whom I did not get a chance to speak to. As far as I know, the lifeguards are a separate administrative entity from Palm Beach County Fire Rescue, and the lifeguards were not involved in the drill. Anyway they left the jet ski there on the beach where the paddleboards launch, and it was still there at 1230 when I left after diving. No Palm Beach County Fire Rescue people are stationed there, so I am confused as to how the rescue of a distressed diver would take place, if it isn't the lifeguards doing it? The distressed diver is going to cling to a bridge or pier piling and wait for Palm Beach County Fire Rescue to show up?

Conditions were similar to Thursday, i.e. the park was crowded, sea temp was 76f, and visibility was 50ft. I did a dive on the snorkel trail 60 minutes from 0830 to 0930. Did a REEF fish count of 56 species. Exited the water changed tanks, and did a 110 minute dive on the eastside, did a REEF fish count of 82 species. Still shutout on the Dwarf Frogfish, but managed to find something more cool, the partial teste of a Paper Nautilus/Argonaut. Did not see the Goliath under the east span like on Thursday. Respectively,
Honeycomb Cowfish, Paper Nautilus Teste, Unidentified Parrotfish, Planehead Filefish, Redhair Swimming Crab, Unknown Cnidarian, Snorkel Trail Visibility Video, and Rescue Scenario Video.
02-24-23 Honeycomb Cowfish.jpg
02-24-23 Paper Nautilus Shell.jpeg
02-24-23 Parrotfish.jpeg
02-24-23 Planehead Filefish.jpeg
02-24-23 Red Hair Swimming Crab.jpeg
02-24-23 Unknown Hydrozoan.jpeg

I understand that construction is going to take place on the bridge and swimming/diving will be closed around mid-March-May, any further news on this and maybe more specific dates in March, I was planning a trip down there.
Blue Heron Boulevard Bridge Restoration Project Please see the link. Please back out of the link to FDOT District 4. As far as I can tell there is no construction taking place March to May, it is not currently listed. FDOT has a habit of announcing projects that never take place.

Nice find on the paper nautalis
If you want @Pipehorse, I can take you to the last known spot I found the dwarf froggies.. it's close to the juvie goliath grouper...

Blue Heron Boulevard Bridge Restoration Project Please see the link. Please back out of the link to FDOT District 4. As far as I can tell there is no construction taking place March to May, it is not currently listed. FDOT has a habit of announcing projects that never take place.

Thanks for the link! I see the dates are now listed as Fall 2023 to Winter 2024. Looks like we’re in the clear until after hurricane season.

1677501609811.png

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1150 for a 1349 high tide. Park was somewhat crowded but I got good parking anyway. I believe because of the afternoon high tide the majority of people there were beach goers, not divers. Visibility was a hazy 25ft with 77f sea temp. Did the snorkel trail and part of the west side. Saw lots of snorkelers while I was in the water but not that many divers. Did a REEF survey of 52 species in 60 minutes. Dwarf Frogfish are still eluding me. The big find today might be far more uncommon than Dwarf Frogfish. Or maybe it is a common species that is rarely observed. While taking a picture of a bivalve I saw some movement in the gravel, it turned out to be an Arrow Stargazer. Similar to its much larger cousins it has an ability to bury itself in the sand/gravel in an instant. It just slides into the gravel making the observer wonder it they actually saw anything. The one I found was cooperative today, allowed me to get some exposures before it disappeared for good. Also found a Mushroom Scorpion and a Trex just prior to exiting the water on the westside. Respectively, Arrow Stargazer 1-3, Florida Prickly Cockle, Island Frillfin, Lined Seahorse 1, Lined Seahorse 2, Mushroom Scorpion, Phoronopsis californica, Trex, Arrow Stargazer Video, and Mushroom Scorpion Video.

02-27-23 Arrow Stargazer.jpeg
02-27-23 Arrow Stargazer1.jpeg
02-27-23 Arrow Stargazer2.jpeg
02-27-23 Florida Prickly Cockles.jpeg
02-27-23 Island Frillfin.jpeg
02-27-23 Lined Seahorse.jpeg
02-27-23 Lined Seahorse2.jpeg
02-27-23 Mushroom Scorpion.jpeg
02-27-23 Phoronopsis californica1.jpeg
02-27-23 TREX.jpeg

LOL. I was wondering what a Trex was! Good one!

Agree the stargazer is a rare find! sweet

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom