Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The turbidity curtains are a joke. They do no good in a high current environment, and I am sure the regulations require them. It would be such a shame if somehow those blocks were broken and then the chains would be causing less damage. I doubt they would promptly fix them if nobody complains.
...or you could contact the contractor & recommend that they deploy better anchors that don't drag.

...or you could contact the contractor & recommend that they deploy better anchors that don't drag.
The current is too strong. All that will do is cause more impact and damage and it still will not control sediment because the curtain does not extend to the bottom.

@Catito, the first two pictures are a flatworm not a nudibranch. Prostheceraeus floridanus, it doesn't have a common name, nice find. The pufferfish is a Southern Puffer, a favorite of mine, since my image of that fish is in Humanns 4th edition. Yes it is a juvenile Trunkfish.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0735 for a 1034 high tide. Parked down on the westside where I always park, regardless of the area under bridge being closed. I guess there are people getting there way early to get spaces all the way to the east. As I walked over that way to snorkel at 0815 their great pride in having captured these parking spaces is palpable, whatever. Snorkeled the trail prior to diving, visibility was good at 35 feet. Finished snorkeling at 0905, returned to my truck and by this time the parking lot was completely filled. Entered at 0925 and did the west side. Sea temp was 79f. It was quiet over there, only encountered a few other divers for the 140 minutes I was on scuba. I believe the swim back and forth to the westside plus the presence of the turbidity boom discourages people from that side of the bridge. Did a REEF fish count during the snorkel and during the dive. No extra ordinary fish observations today. Observed a Giant Hermit Crab with a makeshift home, some kind of pot, or bell, but definitely not a seashell. I found a couple cement core samples, I assumed were dropped after they drilled. You can see why they have underneath the bridge closed for the beach, one of these would definitely kill somebody. The way they have the turbidity boom anchored is a disgrace. Two concrete blocks attached with chains. The concrete blocks are not heavy enough to remain stationary, so four times a day they are dragged across the bottom as the tidal current have their way with the turbidity booms, its a real disgrace, its doing some real damage, you can see in the video. There are several of these "anchors" just tearing up the bottom making huge furrows and killing invertebrates that can't get out of the way. Respectively, Cement Core, Frogfish, Makeshift Shell, Makeshift Shell, Turbidity Boom, Turbidity Boom Anchor Video, Turbidity Boom Anchor Video, and Swimming With Spadefish Video

View attachment 780499View attachment 780500View attachment 780501View attachment 780502View attachment 780503

Yikes! Who can we report this to? Terrible destruction.

Turbidity curtains are not supposed to be anchored to light cinderblocks.

They are supposed to have floats at the top and be fastened at the top with the curtain free.

The turbidity curtain is attached topside; no dragging on bottom.

IMG_0986.jpeg

@PBcatfish, the cement cylinder that looked like a core sample had a height of 9 inches, and diameter of 4 3/4 inches.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0745 for an 1118 high tide. Snorkeled the trail before diving, visibility was 30ft. Returned from snorkeling and entered the water on scuba on 0950. I did the westside, did not encounter another diver for the entirety of my 140 minute dive, sea temp was 79f. I will be putting away the 5mm wetsuit within a week. Did a REEF fish count while on snorkel and also on scuba. Both counts were just above 60 species. The most unusual fish encounter today was a Seminole Goby. Seminole Gobies are closely related to Banner Gobies. Banner Gobies are common at Blue Heron Bridge. Banner Gobies prefer areas that are somewhat more silty than sand. Seminole Gobies prefer areas that are somewhat more sand than silty. Returning to my truck I noticed most of the divers had pulled out, or were pulling out. The spaces were not being filled with beach goers. The park was less crowded today than I saw many weekdays in March. Respectively, Box Crab (species unknown to me), juvenile Cottonwick, and juvenile Tomtate (Cottonwick facing left), Sand Perch, and Seminole Goby.
04-23-23 Box Crab.jpeg
04-23-23 juvenile.jpeg
04-23-23 Sand Perch.jpeg
04-23-23 Seminole Goby.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0715 for a 0716 high tide. The park was about as empty as it ever gets. I did not see a single other diver in the water or in the parking lot. The only time I saw another individual in the water at all was just prior to exiting at about 0950. Visibility on the westside was about 25 feet with slight green color since the tide had turned, when returning to the eastside via the snorkel trail visibility was 45ft with blue color with green rapidly moving in. Sea temp was a disappointing 76f, I say disappointing because the last time I was diving on 4/26 it was 79f. I ditched the 5mm for a 3mm so I was little cold throughout the dive, even with the hood. Did a REEF survey 67 species in 65 minutes. Those stupid cement blocks with the chains on them are really just dragging the hell out of the bottom. Found a Bumblebee Shrimp, and an Emperor Helmet, In the image the REEF slate is 9.125" inches. Usually the Emperor Helmets do a pretty good job of burying themselves in the sand. Definitely the biggest mollusk I see in South Florida, I guess Florida Horse Conch might be longer but radius wise the Emperor Helmet is bigger. Also thought the two Orangeback Bass I had observed since January had finally moved on to deeper waters, since I did not see either last week. Guess I missed one, because it was in the same spot its been hanging in since then. I do believe the Dwarf Frogfish and a lot seahorses have moved on. Respectively Bareyed Hermit Crab (gotta love those eyelashes), Bumblebee Shrimp, Hogfish, Orangeback Seabass, Emperor Helmet with slate for reference, and Green Moray Video.

05-03-23 Bareye Hermit Crab.jpeg
05-03-23 Bumblebee Shrimp.jpeg
05-03-23 Hogfish.jpeg
05-03-23 Orangeback Bass.jpeg
05-03-23 Queen Empreror Helmet.jpeg

The dwarfs I believe have moved on. The last time I did the west side, which was the day the barrier was put up, I searched and searched for the froggies without luck. The whole habitat was shifted, maybe from some high winds?

Heading up tomorrow. Woot.

It might be nice if one of the local dive shops set up to rent tanks at the beach on the south side of the road. Even at a premium price, I'll bet they would get plenty of demand. The walk across the street would be a lot easier without the weight of a tank on your back.

Tank pick up & drop off at the water's edge - That's like concierge service for a beach dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom