Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone dove the bridge thursday a viz and temp report would be appreciated. Cooled off a bit last night and expect
the temps to be down a bit just not sure by how much ? Thinking of diving the bridge friday if conditions are at
least fair.

I was back in the water today after my little hiatus.

The big news du jour: the beach is closed again due to high bacteria. Of course that didn't stop the Crusty Dude or me - but FYI. Dive at your own risk.

Viz a milky 30 ft until the tide turned and then it dropped to about 10. Temp: 74.5 It was cold. I was in a 5mm full with 3mm vest and beanie and by around 100 min was shivering and bordering on flag-silly. The 66 degrees with brisk wind upon exit was not fun, either. I think we are finally at the point where I will get cold long before I run out of air. Also time to bring along the thermos of hot tea/cocoa.

The highlights from today. And BTW, the octo moved towards Jim, NOT vice versa. Good perspective: it was tiny!

1 31 13 1.jpg 1 31 13 2.jpg 1 31 13 3.jpg 1 31 13 4.jpg

Last edited:
Remember, we went through this before with the water quality...they have a person that wanders along the waterline at the beach, at low tide, testing the water and trying not to get wet....It DOES relate to safety for infants or small children that play at the water's edge, but there is no relationship between this test, and the water quality at high tide....We tested extensively during one of the last "closings", and the water quality was very good. They don't give a rat's *ss about divers and the water envelope we use...this is only for swimmers at low tide.

Jet, thanks for the report. Getting close to 74 degrees is definitely getting chilly. I may just wait to
see how topside conditions are friday. I suppose I could wear a 3mm beanie under the hooded vest
and see how that works. Sounds like maybe a sixty minute dive may be about it if I do dive, thanks
again on the report.

Remember, we went through this before with the water quality...they have a person that wanders along the waterline at the beach, at low tide, testing the water and trying not to get wet....It DOES relate to safety for infants or small children that play at the water's edge, but there is no relationship between this test, and the water quality at high tide....We tested extensively during one of the last "closings", and the water quality was very good. They don't give a rat's *ss about divers and the water envelope we use...this is only for swimmers at low tide.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by danvolker
Palm Beach county pumps close to 395 million gallons of sewage daily into the ocean--leakage and spilling into the intracoastal is horrific) Between raw sewage, fertilizer and lawn runoffs, and the massive injections of densely concentrated pollutants from the various canals that dump into the intracoastal in Palm Beach County...

Yeah, how could a mere 395 million gallons of sewage daily affect the water enjoyed by the divers.

Today's Temp and Beach Closing

I was back in the water today after my little hiatus.

The big news du jour: the beach is closed again due to high bacteria. Of course that didn't stop the Crusty Dude or me - but FYI.
Temp: 74.5 It was cold. I was in a 5mm full with 3mm vest and beanie and by around 100 min was shivering and bordering on flag-silly. The 66 degrees with brisk wind upon exit was not fun, either. I think we are finally at the point where I will get cold long before I run out of air. Also time to bring along the thermos of hot tea/cocoa.

View attachment 146303 View attachment 146304 View attachment 146305 View attachment 146306

Thanks Jet for the water temp. report. I would have left Melbourne with just the 5mm but I packed the 2mm hooded vest at the last minute after I saw your post. 73° TODAY! I was toasty all the way through my 2hr. dive.
Didn't see any beach closing signs but I can't see much anymore.
Lotsa good things to see today. I'll have a vid posted later tonight or tomorrow.
and.......give us some marathon info please.

And, it doesn't even have to be edited to share it with us. . . :D

I can barely subject myself to it so why make others suffer...
I will leave the unedited stuff to those people too lazy to cull or with vast flicker account:D
Speaking only for myself, video can have lots of "unusable" footage as your waiting for something to happen or a critter to adjust to your presence enough to resume behavior (or you only think you pressed stop swimming to your next subject recording all the way)
You must pick the best bits.
Just to keep a hand in, here is a picture Kelly took last year which is relevant as I was shown one on the last night dive by a keen eyed nudie hunter.
Looked away to signal my spotter and was unable to find it again:shakehead::shakehead:.
Will have to wait till my photog returns from business trip to post pictures proper from that night dive.
John

Attachments

• BHB-20120128-2511.jpg
    BHB-20120128-2511.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 259
I can barely subject myself to it so why make others suffer...
I will leave the unedited stuff to those people too lazy to cull or with vast flicker account:D
Speaking only for myself, video can have lots of "unusable" footage as your waiting for something to happen or a critter to adjust to your presence enough to resume behavior (or you only think you pressed stop swimming to your next subject recording all the way)
You must pick the best bits.
Just to keep a hand in, here is a picture Kelly took last year which is relevant as I was shown one on the last night dive by a keen eyed nudie hunter.
Looked away to signal my spotter and was unable to find it again:shakehead::shakehead:.
Will have to wait till my photog returns from business trip to post pictures proper from that night dive.
John

Is that be Geographic Sea Hare (Syphonota geographica)?

Thanks Jet for the water temp. report. I would have left Melbourne with just the 5mm but I packed the 2mm hooded vest at the last minute after I saw your post. 73° TODAY! I was toasty all the way through my 2hr. dive.
Didn't see any beach closing signs but I can't see much anymore.
Lotsa good things to see today. I'll have a vid posted later tonight or tomorrow.
and.......give us some marathon info please.

You're welcome Bob (and Kevin).
AFA the marathon. 'Nuff said. :D
MMcropped.jpg

Now let's get back to diving!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom