Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went Weds. The jellies weren't that many-thank goodness but viz was about 15 feet but that is just a guess. Some times more sometimes less but good enough for macro & not a lot of particulate. I dove the east side & when tide turned as usual viz dropped more quickly than it does on the west. Water temp a sweaty 86 for those of us wearing jelly fish protection suits & hoods!

I went Weds. The jellies weren't that many-thank goodness but viz was about 15 feet but that is just a guess. Some times more sometimes less but good enough for macro & not a lot of particulate. I dove the east side & when tide turned as usual viz dropped more quickly than it does on the west. Water temp a sweaty 86 for those of us wearing jelly fish protection suits & hoods!

Thanks for the report. It feels to early to be throwing my full 3mm and beanie into my gear bag but I guess ya gotta do
what ya gotta do.

Just spoke to Force-E. They are cancelling the night dive. In their words the vis was "milk" at the bridge. Must be pretty bad because they rent a lot of tanks for these dives! We had planned dives tonight and tomorrow morning. I also cancelled my goliath boat dive today, as I am not fond of 5-7 foot seas.

Got the hurricane blues!

Just spoke to Force-E. They are cancelling the night dive. In their words the vis was "milk" at the bridge.

Got the hurricane blues!

Major bummer but on the bright side at least I found out before I drove all the way down from Jacksonville.

FB><>Florida Scuba Diver<>< ...0p

We dove BHB today and saw around 20 moon jellys. Viz 15-20ft and milky. There were a few other divers around including scubajim and tom. As we got out there was a class of about 8 in the entry area. Saw both a sea robin and a batfish. It started raining as we left--good timing! Thanks for the pics JoanneR.

We dove BHB today and saw around 20 moon jellys. Viz 15-20ft and milky. There were a few other divers around including scubajim and tom. As we got out there was a class of about 8 in the entry area. Saw both a sea robin and a batfish. It started raining as we left--good timing! Thanks for the pics JoanneR.

Wow the Jellys are still around. I was planning to dive this week-end at BHB. Even with wetsuit, hood, gloves, etc. I still got stung in the face 2 weeks ago. I had to leave the water after 45 min

We've been lucky. I guess we are sorta immune. A few little stings. We were in Key Largo diving a couple of weeks ago and a young guy diving in shorts only got hit pretty good on his arm and leg--apparently the central stalk under the bell that I see on some of the moon jellys is the REAL stinger central. At depth there were none.

I don't think I touched one yesterday at all, the only time I noticed several in 1 area was getting out after the dive. We are going again Thursday and Friday probably--I will report viz and jelly information. 2 weeks ago there were tons compared to now.

ScubaJenny and I did 2+ hours today. I'm happy to report we saw just one moon jelly in the water and a couple washed up on the shore. More garden eels than I've ever seen. "Oh just another school of garden eels. Ho hum." (!!!) And lots of upside down jellies. What else? A pipefish, one of those adorable little juvenile trunks, batfish and green mantis shrimp who let us stay with him forever. Not a lot postworthy. I don't think my strobe was working.

Viz was 15 ft(ish) and water temp 86.

We talked to the lifeguard. The east side is still officially closed, FYI.

pipefish.jpg

You covered that trip report pretty well. Thanks!

I was there Wednesday (31/08/11) Jet and when the tide turned it was top to bottom moon jellies..
but the wildlife seemed very relaxed even this jawfish kept coming out of his hole to investigate me. I only saw 1 upside down jelly but will be looking for more today.
Blue Heron Bridge Jawfish looking around.jpg Blue Heron Bridge 0055.jpg Blue Heron Bridge Upside Down Jelly.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom