Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to dive the bridge again on Saturday. Saw two Frogfish that we spotted first back in May. The female was all bloated. Took some photos at beginning of dive and then then came back to visit them again at the end. They were just getting ready to mate. Tried to switch over to video as quick as I could and then shot this of them spawning. Still can't really believe I saw them mate!! Did I tell you I love Frogfish?

Striated Frogfish Mating - YouTube

Awesome video!

Can anyone tell what this is? Shot is pretty far away.

Red Lion's Mane Jelly at BHB 9/15/13

P8050671.jpg

Jim, Helen and I were diving on Sunday 9/15/13 and almost ran face first into this guy. This is a red Lion's Mane jelly. According to an article Helen found it has a range from the Artic to Florida. It took us a while to ID it. It was about 12" across the dome with tentacles about 10 feel long. The pic doesn't do it justice as it was really beautiful and very pink. We didn't feel like we wanted to stay around and take pics of it, just wanted to get the heck away from it. We saw it while finishing our dive. It was in about 7 feel of water directly out from the lifeguard stand. It was about 7:00 pm during a storm so conditions weren't very good. I took just this pic and then got the heck away from it as the tentacles were reaching out. It went across my back and down my legs but I dropped and turned a bit and was able to get away from it after I drug it behind me a little ways. After avoiding it we checked our compasses and realized we were going the wrong way swimming away from shore.... According to the article it has a very nasty sting. Just another thing that can sting to watch out for at BHB.

NIce shot Jim, one of the prettier shots of that seahorse!

Deeperthoughts, that's a seastar of some sort (don't have my book with me right now for the proper name). When it exits its hole, the arms are a foot long and the center body part is about an 3/4" in diameter

---------- Post added September 17th, 2013 at 09:59 AM ----------

Here's one. Reticulated Brittle Star.
406490_10150450796433531_2064286892_n.jpg

NIce shot Jim, one of the prettier shots of that seahorse!

Deeperthoughts, that's a seastar of some sort (don't have my book with me right now for the proper name). When it exits its hole, the arms are a foot long and the center body part is about an 3/4" in diameter

---------- Post added September 17th, 2013 at 09:59 AM ----------

Here's one. Reticulated Brittle Star.
406490_10150450796433531_2064286892_n.jpg

Thnx..

You could add it hates lights and will bury quickly.......:D

Monday PM dive:
FL_130916_6717_01.jpgFL_130916_6722_01.jpgFL_130916_6730_01.jpgFL_130916_6746_01.jpgFL_130916_6771_01.jpgFL_130916_6781_01.jpgFL_130916_6805_01.jpg

1. Seaweed Blenny
2. Pretty sure this is a Grey Triggerfish
3. Tube Anemone
4. Decorator Crab - amazing camouflage; saw another on the dive as well.
5. Think this is a Polka-Dot Batfish (Juv)
6. Chelidonura hirundinina - saw a pair; very large (nearly an inch) compared with those I've seen in Bahamas
7. Let me dream... Took this shot at the end of the dive - nearly sunset (who could tell for the clouds), so I had to get back and did not have time to linger. Thought it was a Secretary, Roughhead or similar Blenny. Looked at the ID books this morning and it is likely a Sailfin Blenny. Can't wait to get back and spend more time in this area...

Monday PM dive:
View attachment 166378View attachment 166379View attachment 166380View attachment 166381View attachment 166382View attachment 166383View attachment 166384

1. Seaweed Blenny
2. Pretty sure this is a Grey Triggerfish
3. Tube Anemone
4. Decorator Crab - amazing camouflage; saw another on the dive as well.
5. Think this is a Polka-Dot Batfish (Juv)
6. Chelidonura hirundinina - saw a pair; very large (nearly an inch) compared with those I've seen in Bahamas
7. Let me dream... Took this shot at the end of the dive - nearly sunset (who could tell for the clouds), so I had to get back and did not have time to linger. Thought it was a Secretary, Roughhead or similar Blenny. Looked at the ID books this morning and it is likely a Sailfin Blenny. Can't wait to get back and spend more time in this area...

correct on all ID's. id love to see a polkadot bat that small

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom