Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with Allison, no way does seeing you manhandle every unfortunate creature you encounter enhance that video.
Sharptail eels have a mucous coating that you damage handling them.
Your video would be better if you captured behavior not involving grabbing batfish....:fail:

Regarding the mucus damage...do you have any evidence of it with this species? I see them very actively burrowing into coarse sand, scraping their bodies along hard objects like rocks and shells etc. Pelagic fish that rarely contact anything with their skin, are probably somewhat delicate, but based simply based upon their behavior, it would seem that the gentle touch from a glove would not be damaging.

I see they added a couple of these along the snorkel trail. Good.

View attachment 198309View attachment 198310

I don't know, but the other cinder blocks I've seen near (not on) the reefs of WPB & JUP don't have alot of growth on them after15 years of hitting the same spots. I think it's something in the cement they are made up of. Reef balls have a special/different mix to promote growth rather than retard it. Time will tell, but I keep thinking about the Ft. Laud tire reefs and how well that worked out.

I don't know, but the other cinder blocks I've seen near (not on) the reefs of WPB & JUP don't have alot of growth on them after15 years of hitting the same spots. I think it's something in the cement they are made up of. Reef balls have a special/different mix to promote growth rather than retard it. Time will tell, but I keep thinking about the Ft. Laud tire reefs and how well that worked out.

Are those permitted reefs? Did an agency authorized that? Are the blocks connected or just stacked up?

The blocks are cemented together and on a concrete slabs. Seeing other blocks in the area covered in growth I think they will do fine. My only comment would be that maybe they could have gotten a little more creative in the designs.

Regarding the mucus damage...do you have any evidence of it with this species? I see them very actively burrowing into coarse sand, scraping their bodies along hard objects like rocks and shells etc. Pelagic fish that rarely contact anything with their skin, are probably somewhat delicate, but based simply based upon their behavior, it would seem that the gentle touch from a glove would not be damaging.

Dude, I have been diving the bridge since I was seven years old. That was in 1968. I have never seen someone manhandle so many creatures in my life, much less in one video. You are setting a bad example and you know it. Please stop...

When are the next night dives? How is the vis with all this wind and rain (if anyone has been out)?

Thanks

Not that I hold any hope of you changing your ways... (especially describing your touch as gentle)
but gloves are damaging
as is grabbing which is traumatic, inducing stress that can kill.
Why, just so you can get a photo jolly.
Your video would be much better without it.
eels-slippery-1.jpg
2 seconds of google=.The Eel's Slime Layer

­All fish have slime covering their body, which makes them very difficult to catch by hand. Produced from glands beneath the scales, this mucous gives the fish protection from a variety of dangers. It serves three main purposes:
Osmoregulation: Just like us, fish are mostly made of water. Fish constantly pump water in and out of their gills in order to keep an optimum biochemical balance in their bodies. We call this process osmoregulation. The slime level on the fish's body affects how much water the fish can take in and out -- a thinner slime layer allows more water in and out, and a thicker slime layer allows less. Some scientists believe this coating also allows the eel to move from ocean to freshwater -- and vice versa -- without trauma.
Physical protection: The slime layer physically protects the fish by making it slippery. The slimy surface helps to suffocate pathogens or parasites trying to enter through the fish's scales. The mucous also protects any open wounds from further external damage and lets the fish slip through barriers like coral or your hands with relative ease.
Aerodynamics: The slick layer of slime allows a fish to propel itself faster through the water. It fills up the tiny spaces between the scales to make the fish more streamlined -- much like the way competitive swimmers shave their bodies in order to reduce drag.
The slime on an eel can contain alga­e. This is why the common moray eel appears green, even though its skin is actually dark blue. Also, the scales of an eel are quite small compared to other fish. In addition to its long snakelike shape, scale size might be a reason why eels are so much more slippery to the touch than other fish.
Removing the slime layer will kill the eel. Many commercial fishermen sprinkle salt on their caught eels in order to more quickly remove the slime and kill the fish. Also, eel blood is quite toxic. Although eel is a delicacy in many cultures, you should always cook it first in order to remove the toxic protein [source: Animal Planet].
Sources

Me and my 2 sons are planning a trip down there. We will be showing up Friday morning the 19th, Doing a dive or 2, then going to set up at the camp ground, get up Saturday and dive most of the day, sleep, then dive a tank or 2 Sunday before we head home. I really hope the weather cooperates and that the vis is good.

How is it looking as of right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom