Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The drop in water temps was very noticeable. I showed a water temp of 72 most of the dive.
The east side actually had some areas of about 15 foot viz and a green with a slight bit of blue
cast to the water. But three or four minutes later reduced viz and not much water color. Experienced
the same shimmering halocline effect over on the east side. If that was not enough punishment I finished
the day with a charter trip with very cold water and a very brisk current. There were however many very large
turtles out which kinda sorta made it worth braving the fairly tough diving conditions. Viz was maybe 30 foot on
the reef and the water temps a bit cooler than the bridge.

Jet-
Thanks, was on the fence last night based on weather so last minute wussed out (to sleep in).
Now I feel it was an excellent risk/benefit strategy.
If this deluge keeps up, may be muck diving in my backyard.
Need to get a few consistent temp reports to decide which wetsuit to roll with.
John

Jet-
Thanks, was on the fence last night based on weather so last minute wussed out (to sleep in).
Now I feel it was an excellent risk/benefit strategy.
If this deluge keeps up, may be muck diving in my backyard.
Need to get a few consistent temp reports to decide which wetsuit to roll with.
John

You're welcome. I figured anyone planning for the weekend would want to know.

Most of my pics did not turn out: it was very difficult to get a good shot with that shimmer in the water. Within a few minutes I was thinking "I should have worn my 5mm and beanie" and after 2 1/2 hours I had to call the dive. I was so cold I was flag silly.

jet

How did you 'lose' the housing? Can't you just rinse it out good? Only electronics would be the leak detection circuit?
Yeah i did rinse it out and most of it is fine but from what i can tell the flash sync cord connected between the camera and housing so that the strobes fire in sync, has been ruined. it has little metal connections and it doesnt look like theres any damage to them but it refuses to work (i borrowed a friends 7D to try). I still have it and im going to send it in to see if it can be salvaged

74* today on the east side. 2-3' of brown fresh water on top the whole day. 15' vis below the helocline. very doable today. Brown tide water/run off comes through FAST after high tide. plan accordingly.

Visibility was still terrible yesterday, however, on the trail and main bridge. Thermocline/Helocline seemed to reach nearly the bottom of the trail with some patches of 10ft vis under the main bridge/fishing peer. On the bright side, we collected a whole lot of garbage for World Ocean Day, yay, and saw a few charismatic critters while we were at it (sharptail eel, shortnose batfish). One large lion fish (reported it to REEF) on the little derelict boat south of the playground.

batfish.jpgkellingarbage.jpgLionfish.jpgsharptail.jpg

74* today on the east side. 2-3' of brown fresh water on top the whole day. 15' vis below the helocline. very doable today. Brown tide water/run off comes through FAST after high tide. plan accordingly.

Are we allowed to kill Lionfish at BHB?

Yes, using a net, no spearing as a public beach is too close. Understand, I'm just takin' a stab at this; since nobody else did!!! (;>)

We need a viz and temperature report for BHB--thinking of going tomorrow!!

Jimw is correct. No spearing. But OK by net. Hoping somebody can get it. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom