Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what *I* woulda called it, but I see that the Smithsonian iPhone app calls it a "rose blenny". Humann and DeLoach use "rosy blenny". Both use the scientific name Malacoctenus macropus - assuming that's what this is (and that is what I assume). :D

Thanks Kev. I'm going with Rosy. Tim cleaned the pic up a bit and based on the photo and the Humann & Deloach description I'm certain that's correct. As far as Rose vs. Rosy, I like Rosy better.

Dive was cloudy today, plus a lot of sediment in the water. Vis still good around 20 feet. Forgot to check the temp.

Are you still in town/diving tomorrow? Can you please post a conditions report for all the weekend divers? With all this rain (at least down here in Broward) I'm sure everyone is wondering about viz.

Are you still in town/diving tomorrow? Can you please post a conditions report for all the weekend divers? With all this rain (at least down here in Broward) I'm sure everyone is wondering about viz.
Unfortunately I am heading back today. It poured here too. I suspect the sediment will settle quickly. There was not much milk in the water, so I think it will be fine for the weekend, but bring a parka!

Hi All,

Maribi and I are finally able to head up there tomorrow. Can anyone pm us with any critters. Especially interested in frogfish, mantis shrimp or the bobbitt worm if it is still around.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I have attached some photos of critters I need help identifying. I have lots more of unidentified critters so if anyone wants to help, let me know. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1803.jpg
    IMG_1803.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1751.jpg
    IMG_1751.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 89
This afternoon was somewhat windy. Visibility was around 10 to 15' tops. Not too many people in the water.
Did spot a 7" Lionfish; unfortunately, its still there and waiting to be removed. Way too large to be just growing there. It must have moved in not so long ago. It's on the West side of the bridge, near boat channel among the soft coral reef just south of the end-wall.

On another note, here are a few pics from today. There is a small little shrimp that I cant figure out what it is (last image). In addition, there is a feather duster - Christmas tree worm like critter that I don't recall seeing before (second image).
BHB 2014 March 7-1.jpgBHB 2014 March 7-2.jpgBHB 2014 March 7-3.jpgBHB 2014 March 7-4.jpgBHB 2014 March 7-5.jpgBHB 2014 March 7-6.jpgBHB 2014 March 7-7.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shots, Ricardo.

We are moving our dive from to day to tomorrow to give vis a chance to improve, so any vis reports and pms about critters would be still appreciated. Thanks ConchyJoe and djtimmy for the tips!

Hi Everyone,

I have attached some photos of critters I need help identifying. I have lots more of unidentified critters so if anyone wants to help, let me know. Thanks!

Interesting, the purple eggs (the middle image) are from Cypraecassis testiculus (Linnaeus, 1758) Reticulate Cowrie-helmet. I tracked a set for a while in 2013 and the results are logged here: Cypraecassis testiculus (Linnaeus, 1758) Reticulate Cowrie-helmet At that time they hadn't been seen before, and now apparently there is another set. Also interesting is that mine were from March, 2013, exactly a year ago.........

Linda I.

^^ Wow! That's pretty cool!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom