Blue Hole Trip Photo's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For those who have not visited the Blue Hole, and are wondering EXACTLY what great diving there is to be had only six short hours from Denver, here are a few I shot.

http://www.pbase.com/rfrank999/blue_hole_nm

Ron

RonFrank:
For those who have not visited the Blue Hole, and are wondering EXACTLY what great diving there is to be had only six short hours from Denver, here are a few I shot.

http://www.pbase.com/rfrank999/blue_hole_nm

Ron
Nice pics! That must have been a few months back. I was out there last weekend with a class and the air was a bit colder. Actually kind of cool because since the water (at 62°) was warmer than the air, the surface water had moisture vapor above.
I told the students; "See, it's warm! Look at at the steam"

They didn't buy it........

good pictures RonFrank. A couple of us here in Texas hope to dive there later this year. There is a TDI instructor from here that takes his deco procedure students there.

ABQdiver:
Nice pics! That must have been a few months back. I was out there last weekend with a class and the air was a bit colder. Actually kind of cool because since the water (at 62°) was warmer than the air, the surface water had moisture vapor above.
I told the students; "See, it's warm! Look at at the steam"

They didn't buy it........

These images were done in November. We were lucky, and it was a very nice weekend. One could warm up between dives if necessary be getting out of the water which is not always the case.

I wished I'd had more time to run around with my camera while we were suited up, but I was busy doing diving STUFF :eyebrow:

What? No pics from under the water?

I've only done Blue Hole for my OW training two years ago. I'm still planning on going back and actually exploring the bell.

Maybe this summer.

Wijbrandus:
What? No pics from under the water?

I've only done Blue Hole for my OW training two years ago. I'm still planning on going back and actually exploring the bell.

Maybe this summer.

I don't have a camera for UW yet... Actually I picked up a film UW camera for $30, we shall see how it works in March when I am there....

I'm discovering that my tastes in camera's does not jive well with inexpensive UW housings.. they want over 5K for a housing to put my current body in, and even if I go with a D70 body, it's going to run me 2k for a reasonable setup...

For those kinda dollars, and based on where I live, I think UW photography with more than a crummy setup is out of the question....

Ron

I'd be surprised if you could see much anyway. When I did my OW, the silt was so stirred up you couldn't see your feet.

I hear early early in the morning is the best time to dive the Hole. On a Thursday.

A friend of mine did get a decent picture of the wildlife in the Hole last summer. The goldfish looked huge. Too bad it was only 6" from the camera.

skeet:
good pictures RonFrank. A couple of us here in Texas hope to dive there later this year. There is a TDI instructor from here that takes his deco procedure students there.
He probably takes his students to Rock Lake. Its only a few minutes from Blue Hole and is where a lot of people do tech training. I just moved to CO from TX and my LDS did a lot of deco and deep dive training at Rock Lake.

Wijbrandus:
I'd be surprised if you could see much anyway. When I did my OW, the silt was so stirred up you couldn't see your feet.

I hear early early in the morning is the best time to dive the Hole. On a Thursday.

A friend of mine did get a decent picture of the wildlife in the Hole last summer. The goldfish looked huge. Too bad it was only 6" from the camera.

I did see some goldfish... too funny, but hey, they thrive in those temps. I did see a fish that appeared to be about 24" in length, but I could not swim after it and abondon the group.

I'm not sure why they just don't stock the place with whatever would do well there, it would make it MUCH more interesting. Maybe there is not the ecosystem to support an environment with a LOT of fish.

As to vis, there was anywhere from 30-40 divers (maybe more) in there both days while we were there, and the vis was at LEAST 20' on both days. Better on the second.... Granted we were NOT on the bottom, but most were not either. But as far as diving goes anywhere near Denver in November, this is it.

We are SERIOUSLY considering a move to FL. At the ripe old age of 42, I'm considering a place to retire :11: My problem is that I grew up in OR, and lived here, then in VA, and then in CO in the mountains. I've kinda done the ski thing to death (but I'd miss it) but I'm not sure if I'd handle the flat land so well. OTOH, I LOVE water, the ocean, the beach, and I'm kinda thinking I could vacation in CO, and live near the beach!! We are also SICK of the gardening here, basically 60 day growing season IF you're lucky, and no amount of sunshine defeats the cold nights.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom