Blue Hole - YES

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stargirl

Registered
Reaction score
I have seen some previous posters question as to whether or not this is a place you should go. If given the opportunity I say YES! We almost didn't do it, because I was a little aprehensive about the depth - since I had never been that deep before and some people told us that there really wasn't much sea life to see. Well...that's true that it's not hoards of fish and reef, but it was still very interesting. I just felt like I was back in time when I dove the cavern and saw those stalagtites. They were truly amazing.

This is what I wrote to a friend right after I was there:

The best thing we did by far was to dive a site called the Blue Hole. “The Blue Hole was formed during the last ice age about 15,000 years ago. It is a circular, deep depression in the center of more than 75 square miles of shallow blue-green water. Its diameter at the rim measures 1,045 feet and its maximum depth is 412 feet. Except for two narrow passages on the eastern and northern rims, the Blue Hole is completely rimmed by living coral.”

We had to cruise across the ocean from Ambergris Caye on a 48 foot boat for about 2 1/2 hours to reach the site. There were about 20 divers and three dive masters. We all had to descend together, since our bottom time was limited due to the depth we were diving (130-140 feet deep). We all dove to 45 feet and waited there on the bottom for the dive masters to check to make sure everyone was ok. There was one dive master at the front of the group, one in the middle, and one at the back. I was right behind the guy in the front.

I cannot begin to describe how amazing this dive was from this point. No words can truly do it justice. From 45 feet we went over a ledge head first and all you could see in front of you was blackness. I felt like I was flying or falling into outer space, out into the abyss. We went from 45 feet to 130 feet in about two minutes. At 130 feet we swam into this cavern. Inside the cavern are amazingly HUGE stalactites! Some of them are as giant as a room! It looked very prehistoric. The whole experience was very surreal. Our maximum depth reached was 140 feet deep. There were a few large sharks down in the cavern as well. We were only able to stay down at that depth for about 8 minutes. Then we had to ascend to 20 feet to begin our decompression safety stop.

All divers were sitting on the ocean floor at 20 feet. One of the dive masters poked me and motioned for me to look up. I think my mouth must have hit the floor when I looked up. Up above us the surface was BOILING with sharks! These were not little sharks either! There were about 15-20 gray reef sharks that were all around 10 feet long weighing probably 500-600 pounds!!! It was crazy! I can’t believe I wasn’t scared, but I was not scared. I was just so amazed that I just sat there staring in complete awe. The reason all of the sharks were at the top was because our boat was chumming them. They also had a tank dropped down with some regulators on it in case anyone ran low on their air during the safety stop. I’m glad my air wasn’t low, as the sharks were swimming very close to that tank! It was really interesting to take an up close look at these creatures. They kind of swam like robots - very jerky and fast! :sharks:

After the food was gone, the sharks swam away, we all surfaced and got back on the boat. We all spent the rest of the day just trying to take in what we had experienced. It was truly AMAZING! We all felt it would be very hard to outdo that dive! The only thing that I think might beat it would be to dive with the whale sharks or to dive in a cage with the great white sharks.

After that dive they took us to a beautiful island called Half Moon Caye where we had lunch. There is also a bird sanctuary there. After lunch they have you do two other dives. I think one was called Half Moon Caye Wall and the other was the Aquarium. They were also really great dives. Our only regret is that we did not get to dive the Elbow - heard that one is a must.

*sigh* :)

Thanks, Stargirl, for bringing me back to the Blue Hole.

Yes...it makes me sigh also! We LOVED Ambergris Caye. My husband threatened to start looking for a job if we were there any longer!

I only have three pics of that Blue Hole dive and they're not very good. I'll see if I can attach them. The one of the face/eye - is the expression on my face when I saw all those sharks! :)

Wow, your trip sounds awesome!
We're going to Blackbird Caye next week and I'm totally excited now about the Blue Hole. Sounds truly amazing! What month were there there?

Julie

I was in Belize a few weeks ago and we decided against the Blue Hole in favor of Glovers Reef. I can't say that I regret the decision since it would have tacked on an extra 200 bones and six hours boat time, but like your husband said "I'm gettin a job down here," I think I may have just done that!!! :D :D We'll see in a few weeks.

BTW, we stayed at Hamanasi in Hopkins and I highly recomend it to anyone. I got out of there for around $2000, 6 days 7nights, around 10 dives, and a venture inland to Xunantunich Mayan temple and a trek though a cave. The guides are awesome!!

jlien05 once bubbled...
Wow, your trip sounds awesome!
We're going to Blackbird Caye next week and I'm totally excited now about the Blue Hole. Sounds truly amazing! What month were there there?

Julie

Hey Julie - we dove it in early July - I think it was the 1st or 2nd as a matter of fact! Almost exactly a year ago! I'm jealous of your trip! I'd LOVE to go back!!!

:)

So the weather was pretty good in July? We were worried that it was the beginning of hurricane season.
Yeah, we're pretty excited, first time in central america as well.
Do you have any other dive spot suggestions?

Thanks!

Yes - the weather was perfect when we were there June 28-July 8th. I was really worried about it, because we were married on the beach on Ambergris Caye and all the weather web pages kept showing storms forcasted for the whole time we were going to be there. We actually moved the wedding date from July 2nd to July 4th because it looked like rain on the 2nd. Well...it didn't rain at all the whole time we were there, except one night while we were in town for only about 10 minutes and then again on the 4th! It only rained in the morning for about 20 minutes (hard!) and then it was over. Of course I was freaking, because we were getting married that afternoon - but they all told me it was good luck and it was sunny the rest of the day.

The diving was perfect too, all except for one day. There was one day the ocean was really nasty! In hindsight we don't think that our boat would have taken us out if they had known how bad it really was out there. It was a little tricky going through the cut in the reef and really kind of scary! We were pounded by waves in our 24 foot boat. Once we got out of there it was a little better, but not much. There were lots of seasick people. One girl puked the whole time – even at 60 feet deep! I felt so bad for her. When we got up to get in the boat – it was like a bucking bronco! Needless to say…the 2nd dive of the day was aborted. It was an adventure, but not one I’d really like to repeat!

Everyone we talked to there said that the place to go to dive was Turneffe. We did not get a chance to go there, as there wasn't enough people signed up to take a boat that far. The people who owned the resort where we stayed said that the Elbow is really cool. You said you're staying on Blackbird Caye, right? Well if that's true according to the map I'm looking at- you'll be really close, so you'd probably be able to do it.

The rest of the dives we did were locally around Ambergris Caye - so you probably won't go that far if you're staying at Blackbird Caye. Sounds like that's the place to be for diving anyway! Please post a trip report when you get back!
Have FUN!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom