Blue Lagoon AOW check out dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BillT5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A few of us did our checkout dives for our Advanced Open Water Class today at Blue Lagoon. I never imagined that I would be there this time of year, but we did it anyway. The water temp was 64 :11: , and the vis was around 30 ft. The wind was up when we got out so that made getting out of the wetsuites quickly very important. It was my first time in Blue Lagoon and I had a good time. I wore a 1 1/2 full front zip with a 3 mil shorty over it, with a 5 mill hood topping it off. The only problem I had was I couldn't feel my right heel when we got out :11: , the 3 mil boots let in a little cold!

DID you do a Deep dive at the Blue Lagoon? Or were you finishing up from a previous weekend? Congrats on the training. I haven't been to the Blue Lagoon in a few years. I really liked that place when we used to camp there.

Is BL open during the week for diving??

Debraw:
DID you do a Deep dive at the Blue Lagoon? Or were you finishing up from a previous weekend? Congrats on the training. I haven't been to the Blue Lagoon in a few years. I really liked that place when we used to camp there.
No, didn't need to do a deep dive there since we all had enough logged deep dives already.

BillT5:
I'm not sure about that, I've never checked into it.

Thanks....can you do a deep dive...I thought it was only 35-40ffw at best?

texdiveguy:
Thanks....can you do a deep dive...I thought it was only 35-40ffw at best?

You can check their website for additional info but they are weekends only, except by special arrangement. The max depth in that lake as far as I know is 40', so no actual deep dives. Maybe some classes are "simulating" it?

They are not open in the middle of the week right now. Just Sat/Sun. this summer they will start opening midweek again.

Blue Lagoon bottoms out at 25', and that's when you stick your console in the muck. No way BL is deep enough for advanced.

One could argue the need for a "deep dive" component anyway. So, the point is going deep enough on air to show that you are impaired? What is so important about that? It's well known that reasoning and reaction times are impaired when you go deeper on air. It's like that drunk driver simulator in high school, except you're really diving and could get hurt. It's not like in high school they handed you a bottle of liquor, told you to do a few shots, then "Okay - now try driving! It's okay, as your instructor, I'll be in the passenger seat with this brake pedal just in case." :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom