Blue Lagoon AOW check out dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikkilj:
One could argue the need for a "deep dive" component anyway.

I would argue for it. It's not just about narcosis. The student gets to observe the real pressure changes via tennis balls or balloons or such, which isn't as noticeable on 20' dives. You get to see how the light dims (or disappears in Texas lakes) and colors change. And you get to see that it's really not much different other than that. A lot of new divers have an apprehension about going deeper than the 20' where they can always just pop to the surface if there is a problem, and doing it first with an instructor can help.

I don't like the DWI analogy. You should never drink and drive, would you suggest we never dive deeper than 60'? If not, then the diver will be exposed to it eventually anyway, better with an instructor than another newbie buddy IMO. The narcosis effect is usually very mild, doesn't prevent you from diving safely, and can be arrested by ascending. It's really a matter of being able to recognize it.

Aggie Diver:
Blue Lagoon bottoms out at 25', and that's when you stick your console in the muck. No way BL is deep enough for advanced.

No deep dives, but I can show you 40' in several places some weekend.

MichaelBaranows:
I have only dove in Lagoon #2 and the deepest I can remeber is about 28'. Maybe the water level was just low when I was there.

That's about right for #2.

25-28ft is pretty well the max. Not all agencies require deep dives for Advanced. SSI, for example requires 24 total dives and 4 specialty courses. The specialty courses include: Boat Diving, Computer Diving, Deep Diving, Diver Stress & Rescue, Dry Suit Diving, Enriched Air Nitrox, Equipment Techniques, Navigation, Night & Limited Visibility Diving, Search & Recovery, Underwater Photography, Waves, Tides & Currents, & Wreck Diving.

Scott,
I am glad that you said that. I think that everytime I read about AOW cert. and having to do deep dives. But I will have to say that if a diver is going be diving to 100' it is a good idea to go thru the deep diver course.

I didn't do a complete check out for AOW at Blue Lagoon but I did to checks for my Limited Viz & Nav courses which were use to get my AOW cert.

ReefHound:
No deep dives, but I can show you 40' in several places some weekend.

Checking my logbook, I guess the deepest I've found is 33 feet.

ReefHound:
I don't like the DWI analogy. You should never drink and drive, would you suggest we never dive deeper than 60'? If not, then the diver will be exposed to it eventually anyway, better with an instructor than another newbie buddy IMO. The narcosis effect is usually very mild, doesn't prevent you from diving safely, and can be arrested by ascending. It's really a matter of being able to recognize it.

No, I did not mean that we should never dive deeper than 60'. My point was that a lot of emphasis is sometimes placed on the narcotic effects of the deep dive, and if you're deep enough on air to notice the narcotic effect or be significantly impaired by it, then perhaps air isn't the best choice. But trimix is a whole different specialty that even I haven't gotten into yet. :)

mikkilj:
No, I did not mean that we should never dive deeper than 60'. My point was that a lot of emphasis is sometimes placed on the narcotic effects of the deep dive, and if you're deep enough on air to notice the narcotic effect or be significantly impaired by it, then perhaps air isn't the best choice. But trimix is a whole different specialty that even I haven't gotten into yet. :)

There's something in between called Nitrox. ;-)

Narcosis affects everyone differently, but I don't think it usually impairs you dramatically under recreational limits. The real point is to recognize it, and even if you don't feel it consciously be aware that your reactions may be affected. The best time to find out if you're highly reactive is under instructor supervision.

One could argue the need for a "deep dive" component anyway.

Let's see...

- they possibly get to experience narcosis, and see motor skills slow
- experience decrease in temp/light
- stressing of dive planning as it's not just go down and kick around at 30' for an hour or more

The other biggie you seem to overlook is that I have seen several divers who do have a psychological hang up over going that deep. I wouldn't call it paranoia as much as I would mild apprehension.

Doing that dive under supervision at least helps them "get their feet wet" by doing a deep dive under controlled circumstances.

So yeah, I'll have to disagree with you that a deep dive isn't important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom