Blue spring this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

floridasungirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm staying at the Blue Spring campground this weekend and would like to possibly get a dive or two in. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Also, may need be on my own. Has anyone gone up there and been able to join in with another group?

Thanks

We're planning on going sometime this weekend. It's going to depend on the weather, but I'm looking at Sunday, Monday or Tuesday as a definite possibility. If you're looking for an insta-buddy, all divers have to check in so you could hang around and maybe find a buddy that way.

First off, park in the first parking lot... As far as the dive itself, it's a bit of a walk to the entry point, then another walk down the run to the spring area... if you have hard sole boots, wear them because it's rocky... and swimming up the run isn't an option. Coming back, you can snorkel/scuba down the run and get out at the swimming dock, which will put you right at the concession stand and parking lot.

I don't know how much the recent rains will affect the depth or clarity, but the spring is your general hole-in-the-ground (with a rather large tree laying across the top) bottoming out at around 60' at the "death" sign. The flow is usually pretty strong so think about adding a couple of pounds to your freshwater weighting... or you can go head first! You can pull yourself down, but many of the outcroppings have been worn smooth so it's difficult to get a good hold.

Not much to see at the bottom unless you're cave certified and want to venture in. Just take in the sights. Near the top, at around 15' is all the good stuff. There are a couple of cavern structures and lots of "goodies" around. It is rumored (rumor because I've never found any) that there are shark's teeth to be had. Personally, I like watching the baby catfish.

I've also found some trinkets that people have dropped on their way up/down the run. The ranger station has a lost and found for that.

Ken

I'm looking to dive this weekend either Saturday, Sunday or Monday, but don't have a buddy lined up. I've never been to Blue Spring before and would like to try it. If you'd like to buddy up, my cell is 610-304-7941.

I'm a local (about 30 mins away) and love to dive blue spring. I dive it a few times a month. if you need a buddy call me. This weekend if you want to dive you better get there early as they will limit divers in the water. Some of the local LDS's take students there so the vis in the river on the way back down can get cloudy.. and thats my favorite part I love the fish life there. heres a few pics

Glenn 614-806-6874

http://www.seadogdiver.com/entrance.htm

Attachments

• 25_24.jpg
    25_24.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 49
  • 22_21.jpg
    22_21.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 24_22.jpg
    24_22.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 22_20.jpg
    22_20.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 25_23.jpg
    25_23.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 48
Glenn,
Just left a phone message with you. Sat, Sun, Mon morning good for me. Give me a call and we'll set it up.

Glenn,
Just left a phone message with you. Sat, Sun, Mon morning good for me. Give me a call and we'll set it up.

Tag your it!! just left you a msg. I will be at the gate early 7:15 ish in the morning should be fun see ya there... Anyone else wanna join??? see you there also.

Hey all, got the messages too late but glad you were able to meet up. Love the pics!

Made it there this past Sunday and had a great dive. The water level was up about 4 feet from all the rain we've recently had so it actually made a very easy walk to the spring. We did however have to wait because it seems like everybody there wanted to go down all at once... so rather than join the crowd, we sat on the bank a few minutes and waited our turn. After the dive, we had a blast down down the run too... got to explore much more this time from both the water being high and not having the current drag you along for the ride. Unfortunately I was so excited about diving I forgot to bring the camera. Sorry, no pix.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom