Blue Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaPhd

Registered
Reaction score
Excuse me if the following question was asked before or answered in other threads.

I have a 40 min video from the caribbean that was filmed at a depth of 50- to 70 feet. I am very happy with the resolution of the picture but I am quite disappointed in the colors.

Can someone please explain to me how I can fix the color balance (reduce the blues and bring back all the other colors) ?

I am a newbie when it comes to video editing but I have access to both Sony Vegas and Pinnacle studio 10 and I am willing to learn...Just need some pointers to start me off...

Thank you in advance!

Atanas

You can bring more colors (besides blue) out by using an U/W filter anytime below 10-15 feet. It becomes less useful once you go below 60 feet. Also, white balance on a white/grey card or the sandy ocean bottom about every 10-15 feet of depth. Once you've recorded, you can use your software to adjust your colors more. I use Apple's Final Cut Express - I think the Windows folks use Adobe Premiere if I'm not mistaken.

Take care!

Thanks for the reply balls,

But I am interested to find out the software filter options, method , or adjustments that are done in Vegas or Pinnacle to adjust the colors...I tried the auto color correction filter in pinnacle but the video did not come as good as I expected.

I have a home made camera housing without access to any controls. So I am unable to do manual white balance. I don't have a filter either so I can only rely on software.

I don't expect miracles nor professional looking video - just a slightly better color balance and LESS BLUE ! =)

Atanas

If you haven't captured the reds and yellows to begin with, there isn't much you can do to bring them out in true fashion during post-processing. Wide angle shots at depth are going to lack these colors while close-up shots using lights will usually be fine. White balancing is critical at depth.

I agree with drbill... I think that you are going to have a really hard time bringing out the colors if you did not capture them in the beginning. I am still learning about UW photography and do not know much about UW video. I do a little video with my canon cameras and it turns out pretty good. I have found out that the only way you are going to get those colors is to use the white balance evaluate. I recently dove in Belize and there was a professional vidoegrapher on the boat. He had about 4-5 strips of that white medical tape taped on his fin he told me that was for the camera to evaluate white balance at depth. He also added that you should do it if you change your depth by more than 2-3 feet.

I've been playing around with this; I'm not willing to spend the big bucks on a high end video editor, because I'm a hobbyist. I have Vegas Platinum with an HC1, which has a better color balancing tool than plain old Vegas (not Vegas 6, whatever they call their lowest cost tool - it also edits HDV). Vegas Platinum, and I'm guessing most other editors, will allow you to take a still shot from your video to the clipboard (in Vegas Platinum, preview with best full). You can paste the clipboard shot into a photo editor (I'm using Paintshop Pro X and/or Adobe Lightroom), deinterlace, and use the white balance in the photo editor, as well as use the photo editor tools that allow you to look at the histogram. If you can get a decent white balance in the photo editor, you can then use the color balancing tools in the video editor to attempt to get the video looking close to what the photo editor gave you (with a decent 'puter, you should be able to view both side by side). If you have segments that stay within a reasonably constant depth and light profile, once you match your single still, it will match the segment. If you can't get a decent white balance in the photo editor, don't waste time in the video editor - the photo editor is definitely faster, has more automatic controls, and has a lot of specific algorithms for figuring out white balance. If the photo editor can't handle it, convert to black and white, delete the segment, or accept that your video is going to have funky colors. I only just started experimenting with this, I haven't posted anything where I have used the technique throughout the video (although I've gotten great reviews from divers and non-divers on video from Bonaire that I gave to them on a DVD, and I've gotten really good results with this technique on Sea Lion video from Anacapa shot without any white balance, albeit at 25-30 feet). My wide angle Bonaire video from 60+ feet was marginal in terms of color.

That's an a lot of work to fix something that could be easily solved with a filter on the camcorder or housing. If the footage is already shot as he says, you really don't have much choice but to attempt to fix it post.

Vegas has color correction wheels that will help, but I agree with everyone else, adding color in usually doesn't look good.

Thank you all for your input,

TheNixtroxinator - I am attempting your technique right now. So far, Photoshop is able to fix the white balance of my captured still images using the Auto Levels fuction (Image/ Adjustments / Auto Levels).

Now the challange would be to match the still image with the video. I don't think Vegas would be able to accomplish this with its built in auto filters - i might have to fix it scene by scene...Any suggestiong? Also, which filter do you use to adjust the colors in Vegas?

Below is the result from photoshop...

Thanks,
Atanas

Attachments

• Image0.jpg
    Image0.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Image0new.jpg
    Image0new.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 76
The attached picture shows the tool in Vegas Platinum, the color corrector. I upgraded from Vegas to Vegas Platinum, I don't think it's in Vegas. As noted, it is not necessarily trivial to get a match - after some practice, I've found I that the first segment takes the most time, after that it goes pretty quick because you know an approximate starting point for a particular dive profile. If your video was pretty much at the same depth and white balance, I think it would be best to do that first on a single sample so you have a baseline. After that, you wind up cutting and throwing away around 90% of the video that was shot because it's shaking/out of focus/has crappy color/whatever to get your final strong stuff that you want to put on the web; Personally I think any color balancing takes a lot less than what it takes to decide how to cut and organize the video so it fits with whatever song accompaniment you might decide to use. You need to play with all of the wheels in the previewer, and additionally play with saturation, gamma, etc.

There is a tutorial on how you can apply an FX to an entire project in Vegas; personally, I've forgotten the exact process since I didn't look it up until after I'd already applied a bunch of color corrections to segments that I'd split up. If you haven't split the video, you can do a test sample so you have a starting point for the entire project, then you don't have to modify as much. If you have split your project into segments, the quickest thing is to type in the values from the first sample, then go from there.

Attachments

• colorCorrector.jpg
    colorCorrector.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 66
Nitrox has given some good tips. I'll just add to that and offer some additional comments on filters, etc.

First, color correction filters do optically what white balance (during shooting) and color correction (in post) do digitally. They shift hues, they don't create or show color. At depth (more than 15 feet or so in sunlight), the water has filtered out some color already. The reds and yellows in the white sunlight are no longer present in their original intensity, so they aren't there to be reflected by that red coral...that's why it looks more grey (with maybe a little red). A filter, white balance, or color correction will not fix this...only video lighting will at the time you shoot (this is what DrBill is refering to with the Macro with lighting vs. wide shots...the latter is difficult to impossible to light). So...some of this color is gone...not matter what, and the only way to brin it back is to "paint" your video in post...a difficult, painstaking special effect (not many would do this unless being paid to do it), and still not true to life...just true to your vision.

Also, many who are somewhat knowledgable about videography, but not so much about underwater videography, will balk at using filters to correct color...because electronic video capture (unlike film) can be white balanced, which negates any color filters that may be attached. This is true...but underwater, the colors can be so shifted (more so than from, say flourescent lights) that it can tax some white balance systems on cameras. For that purpose, using an optical filter to shift some of colors back toward white lighting conditions can "assist" the white balance system of a camera. Ideally, you would have access to be able to white balance at depth...but this is not always possible, as in your case (and mine).

So, as long as you understand the difference between what lights (or a shallow depth in sunlight) do, and what a color filter/white balance do, then you can have educated expectations of what you can achieve in post production. You did not say which version of Vegas you have access to, but if it is Vegas 7 (or 6), this is the professional edition and has all of the tools you need. I think a subset of these tools, including some of the color correction features, are in what is called Vegas Movie Studio+DVD Platinum edition...which is the consumer version (and much cheaper version) of Vegas. There is a lower end edition of Vegas Movie Studio (non-platinum) that doesn't support HD, does not have any color correction, I don't think, etc., and probably won't do what you need it to do.

That said, Nitroxinator is correct in that the "white balance in post" tool most used in Vegas is the color corrector plug-in for video FX, of which he has a screenshot. I've been using the professional version of Vegas for video editing for some years (before sony owned it), so hopefully I can fill in the blanks a little here. Disclaimer: I ONLY know Vegas, I don't know how much of this applies to the consumer oriented Vegas Movie Studio Platinum or how many of these features and concepts they've left out of that version.

Vegas uses what are called Effects Chains that you can string together, in any order, and apply to either the Video or the Audio. Vegas supports 4 different chains, which apply to a different context, of the video that you are editing. There is a chain for each event (called the EventFX), there is a chaing for each track (called TrackFX), and theire is a chain for the complete output (called the Video Output FX). There is one more, called MediaFX, that allows you to apply effects to the original media (as apposed to a subset of the media contained in an event). So, if all of your footage is relatively similar, you could apply your color correction to an entire track using TrackFX, or even to the entire program (using Video Output FX), but this would color corect even your titles, etc., so this is rarely used for color correction. For most control, though, you would use EventFX to color correct each event. This takes a little more time, but then you get each event correct. Also, you can save the settings from a color correction session into custom presets so it is extremely easy to apply to the other events as at least a starting point.

Now, you can get even more granular than that by keyframing your effects as well (on any of these chains), which basically means adding keyframes at certain points in the video where changes should occur to the effects, and then applying transitions to those effects (immediate change, gradual change, etc.). This is more advance, and time consuming, but can really dial in your effects, including color correction.

Okay, so on to actually using the color corrector wheel. BTW, using the Vectorscopes in Vegas can help with this process to see the changes your are making, but just previewing them in the preview window is fine most of the time. I'm pretty sure the scopes are only available in the full version of Vegas, and wouldn't exist in Vegas Movie Studio or VMS Platinum. After you add the Color Corrector plugin to whichever chain you are manipulating, go into the settings for the chain link. You will see something similar to the screenshot that Nitrox posted. The easiest way to do this would be to have a shot of a white balance card, or something similar that you make up and maybe put on a slate or something. Shoot your white balance card, that ideally would have a white portion, a neutral grey portion, and a black portion, before each new "scene" while underwater (i.e. whenever you would have white balanced if you had that option). This gives you a basis to work from, and if you only want to balance as well as white balancing on site, you would only need to do this at each point you shot this slate or card. But, even with white balanced footage, most would "fine tune" color correction even more.

So...this is how easy this is with Vegas. Get to a frame of your shot of the card, and use the three complementary color eyedropper tools (one for each wheel: low, medium, and high tones) and click on the three netrual color areas of your chart respectively. One click on the black (for low), one click on the gray (for mid), and one click on the white (for high). The color points on the wheels will automatically change to the complimentary hue for each of these areas and you'll notice that the video magically just got white balanced (color corrected).

Since I know you don't have these card shots for your existing footage, you can still use this shortcut to some extent, by finding parts of your video that you know should have been black, should have been white, and should have been somewhat neutral gray, and using the droppers on those spots. Remember, the complimentary color eyedropper tool is the one with the minus sign, not the plus sign (which is the adjustment color eyedropper tool). These do very different (opposite, acutally) things. Read the online help file for more information on this, and I'll include a quick explaination of how this works in a following post for people like me that just have to know what is going on.

One last thing...you can forego the eyedropper tools, and manually adjust the hues to add for each brightness section of the video, and just eyeball where it should be...but this is less accurate and more time consuming. Either way, you'll get pretty good at this. And don't let anyone tell you that you can't get good video without a white balance control. I shoot with an HC1, which would require touch screen access to white balance, so I can't white balance at depth either (their are a few housing that do this...but I don't have one). I've shot very little video with this cam underwater, but the same problems exist topside, too. I color correct virtually all of my footage, even with proper white balance, just to fine tune, fix problems with lighting conditions changed slightly (happens all the time with handheld shots...or shots over time as the sun is going down, etc.). Color correction is an important part of post production...the changes just happen to be more pronounced when shooting underwater.

I would also suggest using a filter on your camera to assist in adding hues toward the red part of the spectrum optically, so color correction doesn't have to be so dramatic. The downside of this is that you are letting less light in, slightly.

Good luck...let's see that footage soon.

Bill~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom