Blurred Video footage with DC1400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Quaker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,
I just got back from some nice Caribbean diving with the DC1400 and the fisheye lens. All the still shots were in focus as I set the camera to macro for use with the wide lens, but the video shots were not ( taken on the same dive) and looked as if I had forgotten to set the macro setting if they had been still shots. Do I need to change the settings back to normal to take in focus video even though I still used the wide lens? First time I've ever been anywhere nice enough to use the video settings since I bought the system. Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Norman H.

Thanks for the post.
You are correct that the DC1400 must be set to Macro focus or Super Macro focus when using the fisheye.
Macro Focus range is 3” to infinity and Super Macro is 1” to infinity.
You will find some helpful tips on the SeaLife website:
Product updates: DC1400 Tips and Technical Updates | Sealife Cameras
“Great Pictures Made Easy”, which is on the SeaLife website Technical Support section
The still picture and video mode each have their own focus setting.

OK..... I followed the link and couldn't find anything that dealt with using the camera in video mode with the 16mm lens attached, not even a picture... Does that mean that the only way to focus in video mode is to depress the shutter half way down till the focus square turns green, then shoot? Will this work with the 16 mm lens attached? Does this only work with the 16 mm lens removed and resetting the camera focus setting to auto from macro or super macro? Maybe it is me , but your last post was not particularly helpful for this simple minded soul:)

Maybe it is me , but your last post was not particularly helpful for this simple minded soul:)

I suspect the
The still picture and video mode each have their own focus setting.
might be the key bit. I.e. did you set it to macro in video mode as well?

From the lens manual

Important: The camera’s focus setting must be set to“Macro Focus” or “Super Macro Focus” or the resulting picture/video will not be in focus.

My original post stated that the camera was in "Macro" mode at the time...all still shots in focus, all video clips out of focus

---------- Post added March 26th, 2015 at 06:42 AM ----------

I suspect the might be the key bit. I.e. did you set it to macro in video mode as well?
I set the camera in macro mode for the entire dive, still and video.
I wondered if that was the case but I couldn't find anything in the manual other than use macro or super macro setting when using the 16 mm lens. The links from the Sealife guy only show examples of using the camera without the 16 mm lens attached, so they weren't much help.

When using the Fisheye lens the camera must be set to Macro or Super Macro focus mode for both still shots and video. The shutter is pressed halfway to set the focus. When you change to Video mode the focus must be checked that it is in Macro or Super Macro. Setting the focus in still shots does not set the focus for video mode. If the camera is not focusing in video mode, please contact us to setup a return authorization so the camera can be tested. Please contact us at techservice@sealife-cameras.com.

When using the Fisheye lens the camera must be set to Macro or Super Macro focus mode for both still shots and video. The shutter is pressed halfway to set the focus. When you change to Video mode the focus must be checked that it is in Macro or Super Macro. Setting the focus in still shots does not set the focus for video mode. If the camera is not focusing in video mode, please contact us to setup a return authorization so the camera can be tested. Please contact us at techservice@sealife-cameras.com.

So... I screwed up by not checking that the camera was still in macro when I switched to video mode from still mode. I got the camera last summer and have only shot still pictures in Canada up till the Caribbean trip. Locally I am still a month away from finding some water "soft" enough to test the camera in video mode. Base on your post I suspect it is user error rather than camera malfunction...still learning how to use it properly. Thanks for the clarification.

Back
Top Bottom