Board wax for DS Zipper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markfm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi --
I've heard that normal XC ski wax works fine for DS zippers.
I have Swix F4 Glidewax flourinated skiboard paste wax -- anyone know if that would be OK to use? (not sure about the fluorinated part, if that would likely have a bad impact in contact with the material around the zipper).

Thanks.

Wouldn't that stop the teeth from falling out. Oh wait! that's flouridated isn't it.

Mark, by all means use whatever you want. Coupla comments though, first, a tube of drysuit zipper wax might cost .98 or so. It's mostly parafin. They're small (and they go fast), get two.

Second, the zipper is one of the more expensive components of a drysuit. I had to throw out a Viking drysuit because the zipper replacement was ~$650 and a new Viking Sport (then) was around $900 - didn't make financial sense. You dork up the zipper using the wrong product and it gets expensive.

Third, talc for the latex wrist and neck seals needs to be the kind without any perfume or scent added, as the chemicals in the scent tend to break down the latex. Dunno if the same is true for the chemicals in the wax you've got, but I wouldn't want to find out given the inexpensive nature of drysuit zipper wax.

Best with your zipper!

Doc

I have DS talc, my DS came with zipper oil, just doesn't seem to work that nicely, that's why I wondered about wax.
I'll pick some "normal" DS wax up, just curious, since one of the folks at the shop mentioned using XC wax.
Thanks.

I tried beeswax at first but switched to Ivory bar soap. It reduces friction and dissolves during the dive and doesn't trap any sand or grit.

For seals, just use corn starch...no scents or other chemical additives.

Heh...well, I'm certainly no authority on XC skiboard paste wax, that's for sure. But I'm a great authority on throwing out otherwise perfectly useful drysuits when they have a zipper that leaks in about seven places!

For the cost, I'll go with whats behind curtain #1!

(Never heard of oil being used, though...thats a new one for me - what sort of oil is it? Who makes it?)

Just want to throw my 2 cents in.... I use regular old dry suit bees wax on zipper, but, I have found a good source for talcum at CVS. They have some powder that is 50%talc and 50%corn starch. It's very fine, so I thought it was the best of both worlds, been using it for the last year, seems to work ok for me. Any thoughts on that????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom