boat dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba dew

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i own a boat and would like to take people out to wreck sites and dive how do i do this...?

thanks for you remarks

For money or just looking for dive buddies? If it is for money then you need to be a cpt and I am sure some of those guys on here can give you pointers. If you are just looking for dive buddies, I would suggested diving in rotating groups or finding a non-diver taht wants to stay on the boat.
Is your boat set up for divers or was that part of the question you are asking?

Quick answer, get in your boat and head out to the dive spot. Fly a "diver down" flag up on the boat along with a someone on board. Dive dive dive!

Long answer, unless they people are good friends of yours (and even that wont protect you), I wouldn't take anyone out unless I had ample liability insurance for the boat/passangers. If these are paying customers you would most likely need insurance for "charter" boats or boats for hire.

Based on your name I assume you are a PADI Dive Master? If so, brush up on your insurance policy for your Dive Master and find out what it will and won't cover.

Chances are, you'll find that the insurance you have wont cover you also acting as the "captain" if something goes wrong.

If these are close friends of yours, I see no harm. If these are people you are taking out on a trip that you're doing as a good gesture or if they are paying I would look at the bigger picture.

Unless you have a Captain's license, don't even think about doing this for money. Sure, your guests can chip in for food and gas but that's about it. In the old days even this was forbidden. They could bring their own food and drink but pay nothing toward gas or operating expenses. Fortunately, the Coast Guard has backed off on that.

If you want to get into the charter business, check one of the other forums.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom