Boat Diving -- When to Fin up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i think so long as an experienced divers wishes are communicated prior to crunch time there will hardly ever be a problem. Joe Dive Master doesn't care whether you put your fins on at the bench, at the gate, whether he does it for ya, or whether you would rather hit the water and put your fins on there. So long as its discussed before hand, and so long as it doesn't pose a danger to you or anyone else on the charter, its good..

I had these guys in Indo that would swoop by me underwater once I grabbed the ladder and take my fins off with one swipe.

I knda liked it.

They had perfect timing, and I am sure it took lots of practice.

catherine96821:
I had these guys in Indo that would swoop by me underwater once I grabbed the ladder and take my fins off with one swipe.

I knda liked it.

I worked for Breeze over here filling in off and on for a couple months and they had us do that. I expect they must be doing that on Oahu and Saipan also... It's kind of wierd getting used to it, you do get better with time but I wasn't there long enough for it to be automatic.

catherine96821:

I knda liked it.

It must be getting late, or my eyes are tired, because i had to re-read your comment in order to make sure it didn't say something about them coming by and grabbing you by your underwear...time for bed!!

The way that my dive group and I do boat dives (especially when on MY boat) is fins go on in the water and are handed up to the person on the boat before climbing onboard.

Just the way that we have always done it.

Scott

I've been through several different procedures while traveling around on my own fun.

While working in the islands we had everyone on the boat put on their fins and shuffle to the entry point while we (crew) walked behind each and every person to keep them steady. We did this even in rough seas (5'-7' swells).

As I tell my students, listen to what the boat crew instructs you. The only people I saw get injured, usually minor, were those who did not pay attention and did their own thing. Don't let arrogance get in the way.

Just remember, everyone will have an opinion on whether they think it is safe. As a certified diver it is up to you to listen to the crew and chose for yourself. In my experience most boat crews are genuine and try to get everyone in the water safely.

Also, try to research a dive operator's in the area that your are traveling to. There are many out there and the internet has some great info. E-mailing is also a great tool.

Cheers

Chris

The communication thing goes both ways. I just don’t like someone messing with my gear after I’ve suited up. If they ask I will be polite and thank them for the offer but no thanks.

I know my air is on, I have my straps adjusted the way “I” want them and I have my own way of getting into my fins.

The folks I dive with on a regular basis do not touch my gear and I do not touch theirs (outside of training).

I’m, not being a renegade going off on my own. It’s my gear, on my body, set up the way I want. If I had to trust my life to a DM I know nothing about I’d take up chess and forget diving. The rest of the briefing safety issues are another story, just leave my gear alone, that's all I ask, period.

Not all the divers on these charters need their hands held. :wink:

Gary D.

catherine96821:

I knda liked it.

Hehehe
I have a friend of mine that would about cure them of that. If they grabbed his fin they would leave with his leg. :) Unless you see him in shorts you'd never know it and he wears his suit most of the dive days.

Gary D.

On the really small boats, I'll roll back into the water with fins and mask on, and just have them hand me my scuba unit down into the water. Its much more comfortable to perform safety checks and don my gear in the water... I just hate trying to move around in a cramped small boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom