Boat Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eatonpara11

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My Vol. Fire Department just received a Zodiac, we would like to know if there is any training group that could help us with this, we are moving up from a 24' pontoon to this beast 22' with twin 115 honda's on the rear, so obvioulsy we may need some advice.:huh:

eatonpara11:
My Vol. Fire Department just received a Zodiac, we would like to know if there is any training group that could help us with this, we are moving up from a 24' pontoon to this beast 22' with twin 115 honda's on the rear, so obvioulsy we may need some advice.:huh:

First, I need my jealousy to settle down first. OK! I'm alright now! If it is a Zodiac, contact them as I am about 99% certain that Zodiac offers a training class that will come to your station. If that does not work, try contacting your State Agency which handles the registration and training efforts for boaters. In PA, the State Department of Fish and Boat offers Swiftwater Training and one phase of that is basic boat handling. While it gives more of a smaller, swiftwater orientation, the concepts of what you will learn also apply to a larger boat. Contact your local Coast Guard location. While they have the basic boating class, they may be able to offer something more involved in boating skills.

If all else fails, speak to a local marina owner and see who he would recommend to teach you some basic skills such as approaching, docking, overtaking, etc.. They will know who has the skills to handle a boat and who is a danger.

One basic skill I was taught years ago is "never approach a dock any faster than you are wanting to slam into it!!!!"

Good luck!

Dan

There are several companies that specialize in inflatable boat training. Two companies that excel are Marine Rescue Consultants and Zodiac Maritime Training Academy.

I have attended several classes from Marine Rescue Consultants (MRC) and have sent personnel from our agency to their classes for a number of years. MRC instructors are EXCELLENT in my opinion and personnel who return from their training have been very capable boat operators. On several occassions, when we have had a number of personnel needing training, we have hosted MRC programs through our department. Information is available online at: http://www.marinerescue.com

MRC's basic four day Rigid Hulled Inflatable Boat (RHIB), Inflatable Rescue Boat (IRB), or rigid hulled training class is built around the following elements:
  • Basic high and low speed operations
  • In water victim recovery (including multiple victims)
  • Open water search patterns
  • Stern and side towing
  • Rescues around fixed hazards (rocks, piers, or debris in open water) by using throwing devices or rescue swimmers
  • Running alongside another vessel underway
  • Helicopter hoists
  • Start up and shut down procedures, and engine familiarization and trouble shooting for outboards, diesels, props, and jets
  • Sponson and valve repair (RHIB and IRB only)
  • Principles of rescue swimming
  • Use of rescue equipment
MRC is frequently asked to create additional curriculum to cover the specific, and sometimes unusual, operational needs of our clients. These have included:
  • Surf operations, and beaching and launching through surf
  • Launch and recovery from ships
  • Multiple victim scenarios
  • Specialized law enforcement, security, or unusual rescue pararmeters
  • Specialized vessels (including high speed craft)
  • Operations in swiftwater
  • Night operations
Marine Rescue Consultants, LLC
PMB 355
1048 Irvine Ave.
Newport Beach, CA 92660
ph. (714)953-8055
http://www.marinerescue.com/contact.htm

The other company, Zodiac Maritime Training Academy also has an excellent reputation...

http://www.zodiacacademy.com/courses
COURSES
Effective 1 November 2006, All ZMTA inflatable and Basic Boat operation course costs will increase to $180 per-person per-day. And all Rescue Tactical Ops using RHIBS courses will increase to $220 per-person per-day. Other and custom courses will continue to be priced upon request. Tuition is also eligible for reimbursement with the purchase of any mission-specific Zodiac boat. For current schedule information, brochures or video tapes, or to schedule a training course in your area please contact Zodiac of North America

REQUIREMENTS
  • Pass a Navigation Rules of the Road Internet Course
  • Swim 50 yards in uniform without gear
  • Supply personal basic wet and dry gear for course participation

COURSES AVAILABLE
  • Basic Boat Operations
  • Rescue/Tactical Ops Using RHIBs
  • Instant Rescue Boat Ops
  • Full Mission Profile
  • Personnel Recovery
  • Boarding
  • Extreme Maritime Environment Ops
  • Boat Maintenance for Inflatables

Basic Boat Operations: 2-days

Prerequisite:
  • No boat experience necessary
  • Boat Launch and Recovery
Objective:
To train a coxswain to operate a variety of small crafts. Coxswain will demonstrate basic skills such as safety, operation, and the launch and recovery of small boats. This graduate is qualified to work in a maritime unit, but not qualified to operate independently. Course provides basic orientation of small craft operations, stopping short of specific skills like rescue and boarding.

Outline:
• Pre and Post Operations Procedures
• Basic coxswain skills
• Underway piloting to include obstacle avoidance, slow and high speed operations
• Trailer, pierside and beach launch recovery
• Safety procedures to include dewatering, paddling, and mechanical patches

Zodiac Maritime Training Academy
540 Thompson Creek Road
Stevensville, MD 21666

I hope this helps. Best of luck!

Lt. Blades Robinson, Marine Rescue FTO
Fire Station No. 2
3301 Bridge Plaza Drive
Vero Beach, FL 32963

LAT 27°39.133'
LON 080°22.261'
ICW Marker 140

wrobinson @ ircgov.com
http://www.irces.com/Fire_Division/Ocean_Rescue_Training.htm

Boater Dan:
One basic skill I was taught years ago is "never approach a dock any faster than you are wanting to slam into it!!!!"

Dan
Another thing to remember. If they say it's unsinkable contact www.HMSTitanic.sunk

:D

Gary D.

I would guess that changing from a 24' foot pontoon (turns in a 100 yd radius, slow etc) to a 22' Zodiac with that kind of power will be like switching from an 18 wheeler to a sports car. I've driven smaller inflatables and they're a blast and easy to drive.

If you're going to use it and set it up for rescue I'd get someone that actually knows about small boat ops and can apply it to your needs. Zodiac themselves probably isn't the answer (unless you just want to know maintenance).
I'd look into something like Blades suggests or try http://www.teamlgs.com/
we brought them across the continent to do a class for us and they helped us set up a complete boat program. They're based in NY too so it would be even easier for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom