Boats providing tanks and weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dherbman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I know the Sand Dollar provides both tanks and weight, but this does not seem to be the norm. I guess most business comes from locals, but it would sure make life easier for out of area divers if these were provided on a charter.

Does anyone know of charters that will provide either or both?

Where is the Sand Dollar? I've never been on a charter boat for diving that did not provide tanks and weights.

I haven't either. Heard of a liveaboard that requires you to rent/bring your own tanks, but never a day charter boat.

caymaniac:
Where is the Sand Dollar? I've never been on a charter boat for diving that did not provide tanks and weights.

Long Beach, CA

It's a live aboard, but other LA's, like Truth Aquatics don't have either. Given weight and item restrictions of airlines, boats that have both would get several points from me when determining which to take.

I know that Truth Aquatics will be happy to rent you tanks and weights, so maybe Sand dollar offers that as well.

For those of you who only dive in warm water where it seems almost all dive charters include tanks and weights, that isn't the case here on the West Coast. In my experience, here you are expected to bring all your own gear, including tanks and weights. Many operators will rent them to you, if you need them.

diveborg:
I know that Truth Aquatics will be happy to rent you tanks and weights, so maybe Sand dollar offers that as well.

For those of you who only dive in warm water where it seems almost all dive charters include tanks and weights, that isn't the case here on the West Coast. In my experience, here you are expected to bring all your own gear, including tanks and weights. Many operators will rent them to you, if you need them.

Then this is the only place in the world that I've heard of that. I've been to a number of islands and countries with liveaboards and landbased and have never heard of tanks and weights not included (except now, the west coast). Even in Canada a nearby area (Tobemory) includes your tanks&wts last time I was there.

What's with those ops charging for tks&wts? I will most likely stay away from ops like that. Thanks for the warning!

If most of the customers are flying to get there, they're going to provide tanks & weights. If the customers are primarily pretty local and driving there, that's different and could go either way.

Yeah, it really complicates air travel. For the record, Sand Dollar does not rent, they provide weights and tanks as part of the charter.

Was recently on a TA boat and wasn't aware they rented. I know there was a dive shop on the dock, but didn't realize it was full service. Still, for the price, I think they should include tanks and weight. Of course, it doesn't seem to be hurting business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom