Body in Lake Superior Wreck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tavi:
Isn't Whitey in the engine room of the Kamloops??

I read somewhere that his family wanted him left there, and that divers pay their respects when visiting the wreck.

Must have gotten left behind. My wife's copy of Divers Guide to Michigan (2nd ed.) says that "In recent years bodies of crewmen were removed from the engine room compartments." Wish I were more experienced, I'd love to go down there and see him for myself. I'm always at least somewhat interested in the strange and unusual, and "Whitey" definitely qualifies.:)

Bob G.

simplybob:
Must have gotten left behind. My wife's copy of Divers Guide to Michigan (2nd ed.) says that "In recent years bodies of crewmen were removed from the engine room compartments." Wish I were more experienced, I'd love to go down there and see him for myself. I'm always at least somewhat interested in the strange and unusual, and "Whitey" definitely qualifies.:)

Bob G.

My husband (see above) is such a boy. I would NOT be interested in going new a wreck in which WHITEY was residing. Anyone wanna go with him? I'll be somewhere less GROSS! (Sorry all. This post is definitely for SimplyBob's benefit)

simplybob:

Bob G.

Yes, but does the book say the same for The Emperor?

diver_paula:
Yes, but does the book say the same for The Emperor?

No, it doesnt mention anything about bodies still in the Emperor. The entry for that wreck says that 12 lives were lost but doesnt say if any were inside.

Here's a quote: "The ship stayed afloat for about 30 minutes after the accident [ship ran aground] but it began to take on water quickly. The ship, loaded with 10,000 tons of iron ore, sank so quickly that some lives were lost when crew members were sucked beneath the water. At least one lifeboat was capsized by the turbulent waters stirred by the sinking."

It sounds to me, by that description, that all crewmen probably had time to get up on deck in order to abandon ship so it's unlikely any perished below decks. I could be wrong, just guessing and I'm sure if someone has actually been down to this wreck they could tell us for sure.:) Besides Emperor and Kamloops, none of the other Isle Royale wrecks mentioned in the book look like they could have entombed bodies. They either specifically say that no lives were lost or they are so broken up that there are no penetration opportunities. (a caveat is that the book only lists wrecks accessible to recreational and technical divers, if there are wrecks you'd need a newt suit to get to it's not in this book :wink: )

still looking to see me a wreck body no matter what wifey says :D
Bob G.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom