Trip Report Bonaire 2017 trip report, slideshow, & video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some dive professionals might wink and say something different to their paying customers, but Bonaire's marine park rules are pretty clear about "don't touch anything". They don't say "use your best judgement" or "only touch something if you really need to take a great photo, but only if you make sure you grab something mostly dead".

First, this only happens because, like all zero tolerance rules "do not touch anything" rule is ridiculous. What, if I found some garbage on the reef and would like to remove it, am I forbidden to touch it? Better rule would be "do your best to avoid touching anything". There always will be the newbies and the clumsy, and some accidents like weight dropping or divers bumping into each other on crowded group dives, etc. So touching something on the reefs is inevitable, and it is likely better to say "please" and apply to diver's best judgement than to forbid the unavoidable "touching anything" as a simple bureaucratic solution.

Second, though this certainly is quite important, there are other factors at play that easily make reef touching effects negligible, like the above mentioned water warming, acidification, and pollution. Also, I've read that Parrotfish are critical to coral reef health, so how many of them still survive in Bonaire waters? Last time we've been there in 2014 I've counted just 1 Rainbow and 2 Midnight parrots in 22 dives, all semi-juveniles, far smaller than those behemoths we've seen in the early 00's. Either the reef is already in such bad shape that they starved to death or locals shoot them up for food. And, like it happens almost everywhere, the authorities keep their blind eye on whatever locals do, the rules are for the tourists.

First, this only happens because, like all zero tolerance rules "do not touch anything" rule is ridiculous. What, if I found some garbage on the reef and would like to remove it, am I forbidden to touch it? Better rule would be "do your best to avoid touching anything". There always will be the newbies and the clumsy, and some accidents like weight dropping or divers bumping into each other on crowded group dives, etc. So touching something on the reefs is inevitable, and it is likely better to say "please" and apply to diver's best judgement than to forbid the unavoidable "touching anything" as a simple bureaucratic solution.

I agree that accidents happen and can be inevitable.

The problem that I have, and it has disturbed me on many occasions, and appears as relevant in this thread, is not accidents or clumsiness, but divers grabbing or steadying themselves intentionally to engage in photgraphy. This, for me, is selfish, disrespectful, and boorish behaviour.

I know that I am not alone in my disgust with this. I have seen on several occasions divers chastizing and even ostracising other divers who have been seen grabbing and even laying on the reef to get a shot. I have also seen divers with excellent buoyancy control engaging in advanced photgraphy without touching a thing or with just a finger in the sand. All this comes up on the boats and in the bars.

If you can't get the shot without touching something, then either don't take the shot, or be content with what you can get responsibly; they are just photos after all.

I know that some will think that this viewpoint is severe (Nazi) and that the reefs have to deal with much worse, and that gently steadying yourself will usually cause little or no damage, but the slope is slippery. When you say it's ok but be careful, it opens up the behaviour to incompetence and disregard. When is a rule not a rule?

I personally think that DM's should be making a point of this to all their divers before every dive.

"60 feet for 60 minutes and keep your bloody hands off the reef!"

Heil Poseidon.

Last edited:
A number of interesting debating points here:
What, if I found some garbage on the reef and would like to remove it, am I forbidden to touch it?
Technically, yes, you're forbidden to touch it. What you can garbage an octopus calls home. What I found interesting this time (and my last trip to Bonaire was 2014) was that - at least at Buddy Dive - we were told specifically NOT to pick up trash for that reason, unless it was quite obviously really, really recent trash.
Better rule would be "do your best to avoid touching anything" . . . So touching something on the reefs is inevitable, and it is likely better to say "please" and apply to diver's best judgement than to forbid the unavoidable "touching anything" as a simple bureaucratic solution.
I agree in principle but as an enforcement issue, "not allowed" is much easier and cleaner to enforce than "do your best." For instance here in CA with our MPAs, violations of "no take" are much easier to spot and enforce than violations of "limited take of certain species".
Second, though this certainly is quite important, there are other factors at play that easily make reef touching effects negligible, like the above mentioned water warming, acidification, and pollution.
Good point. Back in 206, I wrote about what appear to be an invasive red algae that was covering the reef is a LOT of places. Turns out this algae was the result of a waste treatment plant that had been constructed to accodmate all the new housing and construction that was going on in Bonaire. My gut tells me this red algae did more to damage the reef than inadvertent diver kicks. Yet this plant was commissioned and and built by the government. The same government that tells you not to touch the coral. So where's the line?
Also, I've read that Parrotfish are critical to coral reef health, so how many of them still survive in Bonaire waters?
I'm not sure if Parrotfish are an indicator species but on this trip, they were more plentiful than I have seen them in the past. Lots of Stoplights, Princess, Striped, and Redbands. Also MILLIONS (estimate - Id din't really count them) of Creole Wrasses.
[quote . . . or locals shoot them up for food. And, like it happens almost everywhere, the authorities keep their blind eye on whatever locals do, the rules are for the tourists.[/QUOTE]
I think that's an unfair generalization that's not supported by any evidence. Personally, i didn't see any spearfishing going on, escept for Lionfish, which brings up another question . . .

I've actually discussed this with a few people in Bonaire because I think it's hypocritical: How can you have a Marine Park where the rule is don't touch, don't harras the fish, and don't leave anything but bubbles BUT . . . go ahead and kill all the Lionfish.

And before anyone tries to say INVASIVE species, let's not forget that they've been in the Caribbean for around 20 years now and in Bonaire for at least 10. Like people moving to California, at some point, you're considered a "local" even though you weren't born here.

On top of that, I'm told they've done some sub dives down to 500 to 1,000 feet and the Lionfish are EVERYWHERE. There's simply no way they're getting rid of them and they know that. But the restaurants are now making good money off of serving Lionfish. So how is it the Ultimate Sin to graze a coral but it's OK to kill a specific fish. (And if you want to make the invasive claim, back it up with some data and fish counts. I don't think there have been any.)

Off the soapbox. :rolleyes:

- Ken

The lionfish will clean out a reef in short order.. One of the signs that the reef is under to much pressure from the lionfish is lacking small fish and fry... Once the lionfish have been brought in to check the reef starts to rebound.. We will never remove "All" lionfish from the waters but we can keep the pressure on them and give nature a chance to fix the problem.

A point about the large numbers of lionfish deep has not been talked about and the specific fish fry they are eating... I know from night diving large numbers of lionfish are not making a trip to the shallow reefs to eat... And we do clean up dives here in Bonaire..

Jim..

thnx for sharing

A number of interesting debating points here:

Technically, yes, you're forbidden to touch it. What you can garbage an octopus calls home. What I found interesting this time (and my last trip to Bonaire was 2014) was that - at least at Buddy Dive - we were told specifically NOT to pick up trash for that reason, unless it was quite obviously really, really recent trash.
I am probably smarter than that :) There are two kinds of things I always remove: plastic bags and lead. I leave cans, bottles and alike where they are.
I agree in principle but as an enforcement issue, "not allowed" is much easier and cleaner to enforce than "do your best." For instance here in CA with our MPAs, violations of "no take" are much easier to spot and enforce than violations of "limited take of certain species".
I do not believe you can enforce anything in Bonaire, where most dives are done by small unsupervised groups from the shore. So better apply to diver's conscience and good judgement than forbid what is beyond your control anyway.

I've seen plenty of the red slime you've mentioned; as for the Parrotfish, I was referring to the big ones. Groupers have become so rare I would encourage Lionfish hunting as replacement.

The lionfish will clean out a reef in short order..
I'm really not trying to bust your chops here, but I'd like to see the data from which you make that statement. From an anecdotal "citizen science" standpoint, the lionfish has been in Bonaire at least for a decade if not more and the reefs are not getting cleaned out and are still, as far as i can see, healthy and with abundant fish.

The whole justification for lionfish hunting has always been "they'll clean out the reef" I once asked a prominent member of REEF what the basis for that belief was and he basically said, "Everyone knows it's true." I asked if there were any baseline studies done or anything like that to back up the claim and the answer was essentially, "No need because everyone knows it true."

In the same vein, for years, everyone "knew it was true" that reverse profiles increased your chances of decompression sickness. That why it was stressed vehemently that you do your deepest dive first and then go progressively shallow because "everyone knows" that if you don't, your chances of getting an inadvertent/unexpected/unpredicted bends hit increased.

Someone finally said, "Wait a minute. How do we know that?" And there happened to be a a gathering of the more prominent recompression guys in (I think) Washington, DC, and the meeting organizer locked the conference room door and said, "We're not leaving this room until we sort this out."

They started off by asking if off the hundreds of treatment that had been done by the people in the room, had anyone come to the conclusion that any of them were caused by a reverse profile. None were. Then they tried to figure out what the source of this claim was.

They traced it back to another deco doc who was diving with his girlfriend years before in Cozumel. The girlfriend got bent. The deco doc couldn't figure out why. He looked over their profiles and whatever data he he could find and came up blank when looking at conventional causes. The only thing he could see that was unusual was that the dive she got bent on was deeper than their previous dives.

So he wrote a paper. The theme was "Reverse Profiles Increase Your Chance of Getting the Bends". The paper was published in some journal without any peer review. but because it was published in a respected journal, suddenly "everyone knew" that reverse profiles increased your chances of the bends even though there was absolutely no data or independent studies to back up that claim.

So I circle back to my original question (and you're not the only one who makes this claim): How do we "know" that lionfish will clean out a reef in short order? Where's the data? I'm not saying you're wrong. I would just like to see some facts that back up why you think you're right. Because if this is another example of "everyone knows" but it's false, we as a community really need to stop saying it.

- Ken

Ken you put together a nice trip report. Thanks for sharing.

I've actually discussed this with a few people in Bonaire because I think it's hypocritical: How can you have a Marine Park where the rule is don't touch, don't harras the fish, and don't leave anything but bubbles BUT . . . go ahead and kill all the Lionfish.

And before anyone tries to say INVASIVE species, let's not forget that they've been in the Caribbean for around 20 years now and in Bonaire for at least 10. Like people moving to California, at some point, you're considered a "local" even though you weren't born here.

We do know lion fish are generalist carnivores who absent imposed control become very populous on some reefs, and it is practically a logical given they bring predatory pressure to bear on some other species. If we accept that reefs are already stressed by acidification, global warming, pollution, over-fishing (pick your favorite threat), it stands to reason this is 'bad.'

It's my understanding the purpose of lion fish hunting (aside from food & recreation) is to create 'reservations' where native species can exist with minimal predatory pressure from lion fish. It may take a lot longer than 20 years for lion fish to be effectively assimilated into the local ecosystem (e.g.: native species adapted to recognize and avoid them, predators to eat them, etc...).

Now, the value of such reef reservations sounds like a fine topic for scientific inquiry!

As for California, the comparison is not what happens with people move in from out-of-state; it's more like what happened when Europeans displaced 'native Americans,' or perhaps when humans came to begin with. Not encouraging.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom