Bonaire accident issues Close Call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Thook Since you are going to retire the SeaQuest regulator maybe getting an unbiased opinion on the failure might be a good idea. There are a large number of users on the Regulator forum who might be interested in doing a forensic exam on them. It would probably cost you shipping but you are not wanting the regulator returned.. Just a thought who knows @awap might be the one that wants to give them a look over.

@Thook Since you are going to retire the SeaQuest regulator maybe getting an unbiased opinion on the failure might be a good idea. There are a large number of users on the Regulator forum who might be interested in doing a forensic exam on them. It would probably cost you shipping but you are not wanting the regulator returned.. Just a thought who knows @awap might be the one that wants to give them a look over.

This aspect of the discussion is what interests me most. I just took a reg servicing class and am keen to understand what the failure mode was that could cause a flood as described. Please, somebody, take a look at the reg.

This aspect of the discussion is what interests me most. I just took a reg servicing class and am keen to understand what the failure mode was that could cause a flood as described. Please, somebody, take a look at the reg.
Whose course did you take?

I did not have them dissect the regulator at that point as they are not my dive shop and I will have that done later,

I would have a different shop from the one that did the service check the regulator, you're likely to get a more accurate assessment of what happened.

I can totally understand not wishing to use the reg again.

After mine failed it was thoroughly inspected by someone I really trust and goes though stuff with a fine tooth comb. I've dived it on a second pony and tested it down to 40m. However the reg, hose and first stage live in my save a dive box as a spare set to cannibalise. I just don't want to use it, even though rationally I know it's good. After the incident I went out and brought another complete reg set.

How would you rate the class/instructor Lorenzoid? I need that one as well.

I'll PM you on this side topic.

For those who are curious in having the reg dissected asap, what exactly would you be looking for? Do you have a list of possible reasons why the reg would fail in the manner described?

If the reg is opened up and something is ripped, perforated, etc, then fine. That's an easy diagnosis.

But what if it's a part that was displaced and has since reseated itself? What if there was some debris that has since been dislodged? What if it's a part that was installed backwards? Would you even know?

Did the class teach you scenarios that could cause a flood?

What happens if seals don't seal or parts are installed backwards? Seems easy to mess up a reg and get it to freeflow. What would it take to get it to flood?

Back
Top Bottom