Bonaire: any tips on dive gear security?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple months ago (April 2014), we stayed at Harbour Village, rented two pick-up trucks for our group of 11 people (5 divers), and Dived with Buddy Dive. There were no theft issues at Harbour Village, but theft was rampant around other parts of the island.

We did as was recommended:
-Leave NOTHING valuable in the truck
-Leave the truck windows OPEN
-NEVER leave your gear or your luggage in your truck unattended

We had nothing stolen from our truck, but were aware of several thefts nearby in the week we were there:
1. On the day we arrived, a diver at Buddy Dive had his special tech diving regulator taken from the gear room. It was attached to and woven through his BCD, new, and was unique enough looking that someone should not have mistaken it for their own. He asked around and posted a sign looking for it, but it was not returned. He spoke to us first-hand about this. We were happy we found this out on the day we checked in, because we made sure to leave nothing particularly tempting attached to our BCD's each night when we left the dive gear room. No regulators, computers, Nautilus radios, camera gear, or lights were left behind with our gear. We just left the BCD's, fins, wetsuits, and booties to dry out before the morning dive. The gear room is locked at 5PM, but everyone knows where the key is. We did not lose any of our gear...
2. ...except for one pair of undershorts. Some small things are likely to get mixed in with other people's gear, so group your stuff together and hopefully it won't wander off. My buddy lost a pair of black swim trunks he wears under his wetsuit. Take your bathing suits home to dry.
3. One day we drove to the Southern part of the island (Beautiful! Amazing dive at Pink Beach, go LEFT!). We stopped in at a dive bar on the beach at Sorobon Beach (near Lac Bay). Just while we were trying to decide if it would be safe to leave our dive gear in the back of the truck, a distressed family ran out into the parking lot saying all their gear had been stolen from their truck. Luggage, dive gear, camera equipment... everything. Needless to say, I left my buddy at the truck while I went in and ordered. We drove back to Sorensen's lighthouse and enjoyed private lunch with a beautiful view their instead.
4. One late afternoon dive, we surfaced, glowing from the beauty of what we'd seen, just as another couple surfaced nearby. When we got back to our trucks, one of the other divers said his sunglasses were taken from the dashboard. I always kept mine covered by my T-shirt or towel in the car seat. Soft drinks were out in the open in a simple plastic bag.

The explanation we were given for the common thefts on Bonaire was that people boat over for the day from neighboring Curacao, to take easy pickings from tourists and dive trucks. Don't tempt them, and they won't steal from you!

The security at Harbour Village was great. We still wouldn't leave anything out overnight, though.

The diving in Bonaire makes it a truly special place... Relax, be safe, and enjoy!

Boat over from Curacao! What B.S.

The cost of fuel would be outrageous and I would think that there would be plenty of things to steal locally.

Next, the locals in Curacao will be claiming that Bonaireans boat over there to engage in petty theft.

I never leave anything of value in the truck or the gear room. Asking for trouble.

We did as was recommended

I.e.; you followed your common sense. That's ALL it really takes to avoid being a victim.

...but theft was rampant around other parts of the island.
I'd have to disagree with that. Let's look at the examples:

1. Someone left a specialized (probably expensive) regulator unsecured in a unlocked gear room. This is not theft- this is (in my opinion) punishment for that person's lack of common sense. Would you leave anything expensive in plain sight where anyone can grab it back in the States? Why people do this on vacation is beyond my understanding. I saw so much of this at Buddy Dive it blew my mind. You could go there with no gear and come home with a full set if you had no morals. Why do people abandon their common sense by using the "gear room" while on vacation???

2. Most likely just forgetfulness or misplacing something- which isn't theft.

3. Again, a complete and total lack of common sense. Who in their right mind would leave all their luggage out in the open in their vehicle?!? Again, would you do that in the States? Why do people abandon their common sense while on vacation???

4. Losing your sunglasses isn't theft. Otherwise I've been a victim so many times....

The explanation we were given for the common thefts on Bonaire was that people boat over for the day from neighboring Curacao, to take easy pickings from tourists and dive trucks.
Who gave you this explaination? I really doubt that the Curacaoians are infiltrating Bonaire just to steal t-shirts and sunglasses. Unless the payout for sunglasses is really great in Curacao, the cost to benefit ratio of this means that this probably isn't happening.

T.C. is 100% correct. Most petty theft is avoidable by keeping valuables out of sight of hungry eyes. The people of Bonaire are not criminals, they are just poor.

Common sense is actually quite uncommon.

It's 50 miles between Bonaire and Curacao. So I doubt there's much of a theft ring for $20 used sunglasses. Maybe laptops and flat screens but even that seems like a stretch. And there's no ferry so it would have to be a private boat.

Most resorts have some sort of security - or other divers nearby that could observe any thefts. And most people know not to leave anything of value in the trucks at remote sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom