Bonaire Coral alive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome videos!
I am heading back for my 3rd trip to Bonaire in October

We will see you there. Extreme Sports from Joplin is heading down at the same time. I am going to call it three days just because Friday and Saturday kind of blend together with the over night flight. :)

We will see you there. Extreme Sports from Joplin is heading down at the same time. I am going to call it three days just because Friday and Saturday kind of blend together with the over night flight. :)

United red eye from EWR?

---------- Post added July 16th, 2013 at 12:39 PM ----------

LMAO... great to see you're so excited that you posted the same thing twice! I love that feeling. Have a great trip!

Just in case I have not said it recently enough, on Bonaire again in more 4 days!

We are wanting to go to Bonaire in Feb. 2014, but I have read so many reviews that the coral is almost all dead and there is no fish life....any recent experiences of folks going there? We are also considering Cayman Islands...anyone have a comparison?
We have dove many places throughtout the world, but are always looking for other places to dive.

I just dove GCM again after a 10 year hiatus. I noted how differently in looked than before. Much less reef life than what I remembered. Then maybe I was comparing it to Buddy's Reef :)
If you want to dive someplace that appears like I have read the Carribean used to be like....try Dominica! Not easy to get to but the diving is fantastic, the sea-life abundant, the corals and sponges vibrantly alive and the island (and the tropical rainforest) is lush and beautiful. There must have been some wisdom behind filming Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3 on that island. Go on the cruiseship offseason (After April) and you will be one of the few tourists on the island.

We are on Bonaire now, and have been laughing about this thread all week! :shakehead:

When your information source is the internet, and not from actual experience, a thread like this is the result. Sure, there is damage. Omar, and before that another huge storm before our first time, ripped up a lot of reef. People also are having an impact,

.........................but dead? No Fish?

Someone either had a grudge out for Bonaire (which is nothing new on the internet, and on SB) when they passed that info on, or they too never actually dived these reefs personally, and were just going from 2nd, 3rd or 4rth hand misinformation.

Agree with Gypsyjim. I'v been to Bonaire frequently over the past 15 years and apart from Omar and intermittent bleaching, the reefs are in pretty good shape. The North and East are pristine.

If people think the reefs on Bon are in such bad condition, why are there always so many multiple repeat visitors there? Many of the people I meet on dive boats throughout the Carribean have a multiple STINAPA tags on their BCs. (myself and dive buddies included ). People always seem to need something to complain about.

Back
Top Bottom