Bonaire-Den Laman trip report Feb. 14-21st 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm. Sounds like you were sharing the island with some morning folks. The nice thing about the Hilma Hooker is that it can satisfy your wreck-itch and your reef-itch all in the same dive. Oh, well. I guess it'll be a dive you can look forward to on your next Bonaire trip...

Indeed! And I'll be damned if we don't do it next time! I won't leave the island until we dive it...millions of other divers or not!:D

Thanks for the report. My wife and I were there over Christmas break. I posted a very similar report. I was hoping the service was a result of the holidays. Though our second trip we were left wanting as well.
We are returning to Cocoview in Roatan in August. If you liked Belize I would highly reccomend Roatan. Coco is on a schedule but the house dive is great if you skip a boat dive.
Thanks again,
E

We arrived on the 13th and stayed in Tuna the two bedroom oceanview on the right side corner looking from the road. We left on the 20th but flew Insel at 11.25am so we had no problems at the airport flying out. We did the Hilma on the 18th at 11.30 and there was only a few people in at that time. We had a blast and our kids got their Junior OW certification.

I was thinking of taking our first trip to Bonaire in May but may just head back to Belize for a third time instead.We really like going different places than repeat trips, but it's been three years since we have been to Belize and I could really use a meal at Fido's. Plus I'm not convinced my wife will be into shore diving, she kinds likes rolling out of bed and walking down to the boat, and the more the dive op carries her gear the happier she is.

Thanks for the trip report. I'm sure the water and fish life is great in Bonaire, but I always wonder how much people love it because they really like the shore dive freedom.

At least for me, the shore dive freedom of Bonaire is a big part of the equation. It is hard to beat the diving freedom you get there. For the record, I really don't like shore diving and prefer boats or liveaboards MOST of the time. The only exception is Bonaire where the ease and freedom of shore diving is tops for me!

Darcy,

Thanks for the report. Wife & I are heading to Bonaire in May with our kids for their first dive trip. Bonaire seems to be perfect location for newbies. We're considering Sand Dollar & Den Laman - which I understand share a house reef & dive op. Sounds like you enjoyed Den Laman. We're looking at 2 BR condos which are a bit more pricey at Den Leman but may be worth it. Any other thoughts about Den Laman? If you gave Bonaire another chance would you stay there again?

Steve

Darcy,

Thanks for the report. Wife & I are heading to Bonaire in May with our kids for their first dive trip. Bonaire seems to be perfect location for newbies. We're considering Sand Dollar & Den Laman - which I understand share a house reef & dive op. Sounds like you enjoyed Den Laman. We're looking at 2 BR condos which are a bit more pricey at Den Leman but may be worth it. Any other thoughts about Den Laman? If you gave Bonaire another chance would you stay there again?

Steve

Don't know the age of your kids but the snorkeling out front of Den Laman is pretty good. The two bedroom ocean front units are worth the price difference.

Darcy,

Steve

Been there 3times, always stayed at Den Laman, great place, clean, very secure with the card entry system, security guard on duty all night. Views are awesome! Condos are state of art, All high end stuff, Flat screen T.V. dishwasher, microwave , stove 2 a.c. units. Great dive staff. Only downside they shut down operation early, suggestion stash tanks. Sand dollar, very nice also affilated dive operation. you will save a little $, breakfast plan is included with pack. if purchased. Swimming Pool& tennis court on site.:cool2:

Darcy,
glad you enjoyed the trip. I have been to bonaire 8-9 times and plan on returning. its the ease of diving that brings me there not that its been the best diving in my non extensive diving career. Loved Bequia and your boyfriend is right imho but having said that not sure when i am going back there. Liveaboard sounds like a sweet dream... Glad again you got to go but its a big world out there or so I am told.

Darcy,

Steve

We stayed at Den Laman and thought the condos were great. My only complaint was the big fat pillows they had, so if bring your own if you don't like giant fat pillows. Bed was a bit firm but otherwide perfect. Bonaire dive and adventure were good, we stashed our nitrox tanks for night dives in the wooden lockers, no problems. Kids had fun getting certified and we had a great time diving Bari reef and others whilst they were in school! Can't compare to Sand dollar but we met a lot of famlies that were staying there and no one was complaining.

Back
Top Bottom