Bonaire Dive and Adventure made us happy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClayJar

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We just got back from our two weeks in Bonaire, and while I've got a good bit of work left to do before I get around to posting a trip summary report, I wanted to get one little bit on here early.

We stayed at Den Laman and used Bonaire Dive and Adventure for our diving, and the first week was just like the last trip to Bonaire. We had to think a little extra about timing and prefetch extra nitrox tanks to stow in the lockers for our late and early dives. It's really not a big deal (unless you're lazy and whiny), but it *is* one more thing you have to think about. Also, we had to carry our dive gear up to the room every evening, as the gear room would not be open until well after we were on our morning dives.

The news, however, is that they made a significant change for our second week. Suddenly, everything was different, as their new "combination lock box with keys to the gates and analyzer" setup went live. Yes, BDA now has 24-hour gear room and air/nitrox tank access! :D

Apparently, they were trying it out to see how everything went, but talking to them before we left, it sounds like everything went swimmingly. mb and I were certainly *delighted*, as we no longer had to think ahead *at all*, and we didn't have to carry everything up to the room so we could do our early morning dives. For most of their divers, it's really just a psychological change, but for those of us who like to dive, dive, and dive on our vacations, it's a wonderful improvement to their convenience and puts them basically on par with the others who already had 24-hour access.

We'll be emailing them to thank them heartily for the second week's changes, and I see no reason at all they will not become officially permanent (if they haven't already). So, it looks like the biggest knock against BDA is to be no longer. (That's not to say that some people wouldn't prefer the multiple locations of some others or the world-famous Buddy's tank drive through, but the biggest BDA gotcha is gone.)

Anyway, just wanted to get the news out there in case anyone's pondering their next booking. Having now experienced both limited access and 24-hour access on the same trip, I can say that while the former isn't a show-stopper, the latter is indeed a delightful improvement.

This is great news, that has alway been the biggest "issue" that I have had with BDA.

Sweet, we'll be there on Saturday morning and had already been thinking about how many tanks we'd have to stash to get in both night and dawn dives. This is an awesome change and I hope to be able to report that it is still in place when we get there.

Glad to hear it. We're doing our first Bonaire trip this September and these changes are just another positive aspect to look forward to.

Just back from Sand Dollar. The BDA operation is vastly improved with the new tank storage facilities at the dock and 24 hr tank and gear room access. As I understand it, the younger DMs at BDA deserve a lot of the credit for the changes. Keep up the good work, Annie and Travis!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom