Bonaire exposure suit question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unit2202

Reaction score
I am finally taking a dive trip to bonaire this September. I was wondering, what type of exposure suit would suit me best? 3 MM or 5 MM?

Unless you normally wear a much thicker suit than others, the most you will need is a diveskin. I am going to Bonaire in November and that is what I expect to wear then.

Thermal comfort is somewhat idiosyncratic.

To put it in perspective, below is a piece, in part, from my June '00 "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Have you ever been out on the street in the spring or fall and noticed people wearing everything from shorts & T-shirts to full coats with hats & scarves, all apparently in comfort? Well, things are no different underwater. This comfort is highly variable among individuals depending on such factors as percentage of body fat, age & tolerance to thermal discomfort. Other determinants, like how many dives a day over how many days you are planning, are also important. When you ask "What wetsuit should I wear?, you'll get answers ranging all the way from "just a bathing suit" through "5 mm full."

The question is better asked: "What water temps can I anticipate at my destination?" You'll receive a pretty accurate answer to this, and then can decide what's best for you based on your personal thermal comfort needs.

It's always a good idea to come thermally prepared, just in case."

That having been said, expect Bonaire water temps in September of ~83 degrees plus/minus a degree. Personally, if was doing multiple dives over multiple days at that temp, I'd take a 3mm full. If you get a bit too warm during a dive, you can always let some water into the suit. Much harder to warm up.

You're going to have such a good time.

DocVikingo

To add some perspective to my earlier post. I generally dive 2 to 3 dives per day and at that temperature I wear a diveskin. In November I will probably take a diveskin and a 3 mil suit, just in case, and leave the 3 mil suit in the room unless I find the water is colder than I expect. In September I would not take the 3 mil suit, but as Doc indicates this is all very subjective.

Bonaire is a fantastic destination. The colors are fantastic. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

As posted above by Docvickingo, it really depends what you are used to.

I was in Bonaire in August- the water surface temp was 80, and 60ft under was 78.

I averaged 4 or 5 dives a day wearing a 3mm. By day four I was getting cold and needed my skin underneath. By day six( and on most night dives) I was cutting dives short due to being cold. Next trip to bonaire I am taking a hood!!!

As a gauge though, I am used to diving in warm florida water, I dive slowly and average 55 min bottom time.

Compare my profiles to your own, and guess form there.

Once you have figured out the details, you will love Bonaire- really beautiful and soooo relaxing.

I'll be with you in my dreams!!!!

Last September in Bonaire the most I wore was a diveskin. I finally quit wearing that the third day. I finished the week diving in shorts and a sleeveless t shirt. Looking back at my dive log the air temp varied from 85F to 90F and water temp mostly in the 83F range. Although I was comfortable, one of the divers in our group dove in a 7mil wetsuit with hood on every dive the entire week. Go figure. It boils down to how cold resistant you are. If you chill easily, then by all means play it safe and take a 3mil wetsuit, if not a 3mil shorty or diveskin should suffice. Have a nice trip. :tree: Bob

I dive normally in the Pacific Northwest, the water is between 45 and 50, so I dive dry. I admit to being a wimp, so I take enough gear to make me comfortable when going tropical. If you dislike cold, and if being a bit too warm is ok, then err on the side of caution. If being cold is cool (no pun intended) then go light. Being a pussy is ok, especially on the 6th day, 3rd dive when others are bailing and you are toasty...

I learned to dive in New England and my first couple dozen dives were there. Our very first warm water trip was to the FL Keys in the fall, and we were looking forward to diving without wetsuits. Imagine our disappointment when we saw many people on the boat with 3mm wetsuits or more! But inquiring about the water temp, we were told 82.

Turns out the people in wetsuits were local. At least one was saying this was their last dive of the season, because it was getting too cold for them!

(We dove in t-shirts or skins the whole trip.)

My wife and I were in Bonaire in June for our honeymoon. The water temsp were 80 degrees from 0-100ft. I used both a 0.5mm skin and a 3mm suit but never at the same time. I had a tropical beanie but never wore it because I really hates hoods. My wife, who thinks 70 degrees is too cold to dive in wore a 5mm suit and was pretty comfortable. Another local divers told me that he was there in February and wore his 7mm suit and was completely comfortable. Personally I look forward to the tropics so i can get out of my 7mm so that is probably a bit of over kill.

If you are a cold person in general go with a 5mm suit you won't be sorry.

The poster completed his trip to Bonaire last month.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom