Bonaire going down the drain??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, this thread has really devolved to the point of uselessness. Maybe a couple members should spare the rest of us and take their "debate" to PMs.

mike- not tech divers like you are thinking about, with advanced training, multiple gasses, computers, etc, but the type of diving done by the honduran lobsterdivers. According to an article in DAN's magazine, these divers go deeper than recreational limits with no equipment other than tank, reg,mask and weights. They usually do 8 to 10 bounce dives a day. They harvest until they are out of air, then surface, switch tanks and repeat. They are often out for weeks at a time for the season. They have no medical care and most if not all retired lobsterdivers and crippled. A doctor in La Ceiba has built his own chamber to treat these men. All this so we can have all you can eat lobster night. Kind of like realizing that your diamond ring was mined by a slave in africa working for a dutch diamond company, takes some of the sparkle away. There is more in the article and I encourage all to read it. I don't know how to find it online, but if you call DAN they can tell you.

I know about the honduran lobster divers, that's why I was being sarcastic, calling them tech divers is about as opposite as you could label these poor guys. Call them cripples is a better description since that's where they almost all end up after eventually.

Sorry guys this may be off, but why one has to dive deep to get the lobsters? I always thought lobsters are caught in traps that look like flat wooden boxes. I've seen plenty of these on the shore or on ships in Honduras.

One dives deep to get the lobsters when all the shallow lobsters are gone or too small.

They also dive to empty and rebait the traps.

That's right, it's not the fault of the rich white people. With all those black people on sale for so cheap, how could they resist? They're no more guilty than the housewife who blows the mortgage payment on the cable shopping channel.

You've convinced me. White people never exploit others, it's all the Africans' fault. What was the name of your school you keep blabbing about, the Academy of the Third Reich?

Amazing that you sound just like your parents. I bet you look like them too.

Of course you're not a racist. You use terms like "African" instead of "black" so you're obviously just biased against the continent and anyone who descended from the continent. Surely your claims extend to white South Africans too, right?

As for Bakersfield, the last time I was there was to attend a wedding at a fancy country club where I don't recall seeing a single black, excuse me, "African" face. What's your point? (I would show your post to my black neighbors who live up the street to see if I moved as soon as they arrived, except they I think they were here before I moved in.)

If you're not a racist, then I'm not a diver.

I can assure you that you are not a diver, you even don't know the difference between a lobster (cold water species with claws) and spiny lobster, which is the creature they catch in warm waters.
Another proof that you missed a lot at school:rofl3:

Only this morning I read an article in our local newspaper, that the European Union is going to invest 20 Billion Euro into Bonaire to build roads, but our community has no money to repair our roads and the big potholes will "Survive" for another year.

wow this has been quite a post, and i have definitely held my tongue and not commented, but REALLY?!?! 20 billion EUROS just to pave the roads in Bonaire.. i mean jeez for 20 billion euros they could pave the wole damn island.. me thinks you exaggerate Mitridate, but if not please share where you got this info...

wow this has been quite a post, and i have definitely held my tongue and not commented, but REALLY?!?! 20 billion EUROS just to pave the roads in Bonaire.. i mean jeez for 20 billion euros they could pave the wole damn island.. me thinks you exaggerate Mitridate, but if not please share where you got this info...

HI,
20 billion (million over here) is the amount to be spend according to a German member of the EU parliament I met recently. Payments are based on i.e. 8th & 9th European Development Plans. I am currently chasing this guy to get a detailed cost breakdown for the money spent/to be spend. Once I get it you will receive all information I have.
Whatever way you look at it, our tax money is certainly not meant to be spend for projects on Bonaire. :shakehead:

I can assure you that you are not a diver, you even don't know the difference between a lobster (cold water species with claws) and spiny lobster, which is the creature they catch in warm waters.
Another proof that you missed a lot at school:rofl3:
So you're saying that the spiny lobster caught locally (Southern California) is in warm waters? You're obviously not just a racist, you're a dumb racist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom