Bonaire Groceries - Cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree 100% Jim, i rather have the tranquilty of the island, then the overcrowded feeling!!:crafty:

One big disappointment on my trip to St Thomas last month was how much the big chains have taken over. St Thomas has always had a lot more people, and tourists, and of course the cruise ship pod people, but compared with my last time in '95...Wow!

Home Depot, K Mart, KFC, Mc D's, Pizza Hut, every other dam-one-of-them was there!!!

Sure,. selection was better than in '95, and prices fairly decent. BUT. give me Bonaire any day, compared to that congestion

Then of course anything on Bonaire, price wise is better than the $6 a roll for bath tissue (one example) that they get on some of the smaller outlaying islands in the VI chain! So I was told. :shakehead: Small entrepreneurs, with their own boats seem to be making out pretty good supplying those smaller islands that the big ships don't service!!!

One big disappointment on my trip to St Thomas last month was how much the big chains have taken over. St Thomas has always had a lot more people, and tourists, and of course the cruise ship pod people, but compared with my last time in '95...Wow!

Home Depot, K Mart, KFC, Mc D's, Pizza Hut, every other dam-one-of-them was there!!!

Sure selection was better than in '95, and prices fairly decent.

Better than the $6 a roll for bath tissue they get on some of the smaller outlaying islands! So I was told. :shakehead: Small entrepreneurs, with small boats seem to be making out pretty good supplying those littler islands!!!

Isn't that always the way it is? I really hope and pray Bonaire does not turn into another Aruba.

We found grocery prices on recent trips to the Big Island, Maui, and Grand Cayman to be higher than what we paid on our last trip to Bonaire (12/09-01/10).

And even that pales in comparison to traveling in Europe were we normally budget $200.00+/day per couple for meals (most places don't have kitchens).

So we see Bonaire as a value destination...not to mention the low cost for great diving.

I have only made one trip to Hawaii and that was on a training mission so I didnt get to eat out much at all. And, since I live on the East coast USA I normally do my diving and traveling in the Carib and such.

I would venture to say knowing a place certainly helps keep costs down. I was stationed all over Europe for 12 years and could have fed 4 families easily on $200 a day.....plus had beer at night!!

Having been to Barbados a number of times, again, knowing where to eat and where to buy things help keep the costs down significantly.

I will be going to Ireland this year for a two week road trip (pure exploration...no diving) and I expect since I wont know the areas I visit, I will pay the premium price, but then, it is a vacation and while I had to scrimp and save and eat a lot of beans to afford the trip..... I am def going to make the most of it while there!!

Isn't that always the way it is? I really hope and pray Bonaire does not turn into another Aruba.
Yep, when Bonaire starts getting chains like KFC and Subway, that will be the end of things.

Yep, when Bonaire starts getting chains like KFC and Subway, that will be the end of things.

:D

I said the samething when Cultimaras started popping up all over Boston.

There is already a Subway and KFC on Bonaire, and they have been there for years.

I think you missed the sarcasm in his post there bud.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom