Bonaire in April 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suprane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Laura and I will be in Bonaire April 20 to April 27 this year. We will be staying at Goood Resort and probably doing most of my diving with Menno from Goood Resort.

This will be our first trp to Bonaire so I am open to any suggestions as to good places to eat, sights we should not miss seeing, and any "don't miss" dive sites!

Also would love to hear from any SB folks that will be there during this time.

get the booklet "Bonaire - Shore Diving made Easy". It gives you locations and info on EVERY dive site, a full page on each one. Worth every penny, we use it every trip, write in margins what we saw, conditions, etc. Great stuff.

I always go to Bobbe Jans at least once each trip. Small local BBQ at the north end of town only open Friday-Sunday. Very good inexpensive ribs, chicken and local outdoor atmosphere. I usually go to Mi Banana as well. Family owned Columbian restaurant, not much to look at but good food. My wife likes Casablanca and Donna and Georgios as well.
You will get a lot of different opinions re restaurants; I guess it depends on what you are used to and what your benchmark is.

Not to miss dives include Salt Pier and Hilma Hooker in my opinion. Hard to find a bad site on Bonaire.

+1 for BSDME
+1 for Bobbie Jans

Never been to Mi Banana, Casablanca's or D&G, but hope to make more places next time. For dive sites, we are new divers and really enjoyed almost all that we did. Loved the double reef system down south, loved Klein, loved Bari, loved 1000 steps. I have a trip report floating around somewhere - but for your experience level you might would check out more advanced sites.

Also, if you are wanting a special meal out, I really really enjoyed Wil's - more expensive than some places but totally worth itand great service! We also really liked Gio's for Gelato. Oh and if you find yourself needing a late lunch/early dinner (most places close at 2 and reopen at 5 or 6) then Norca's is sublime!

Sooooo jealous! I can't wait to go back!

Good eats: Between 2 Buns (super delicious fresh sandwiches and cold cuts)
Donna and Georgios (mostly lunch, dinner is reservation only and only on certain days)
Bistro de Paris (awesome lionfish dinner)
Exito Bakery (super good breakfast pastries and sandwiches)
It Rains Fishes (excellent dinner with sunset views)
Pasa Bon Pizza (fresh ingredients, it was good, others swear by it)

Some Fridays they do Taste of Bonaire in the square on the waterfront. Give you a chance to sample many restaurants foods. We had smoked chicken (soooo good), kippling (fried fish from Boudoir), the Mix from the Indonesian place and some conch stew from another place I forget the name. As you can tell, we really enjoyed the food there!

+1 for Bistro de Paris
-1 Pasa Bon Pizza - I know this is sacrilege to say, but....

Been to Bonaire only 3 times, so a relative newbie. I always get a kick out of going out on a boat or shore dive and seeing a diver with too many park passes on their bcd to count. You are not going to be able to do it all in one trip one week so relax, take it all in and enjoy. Never been to a bad site. Don't waste time and energy trying to hit the best. They are all good. Klein Bonaire and a North side site would be nice to try. Talk with people/divers and see what you can learn while in Bonaire. I will never forget talking to someone on one of my trips and I mentioned that I had yet to see a frogfish and seahorse. He pulled out a pen and drew a map on a napkin as to where he thought I would find a frog fish and seahorse at the same site. We went the next day, somewhat skeptical. Sure enough both were right were he mentioned. SDME is good but I thought the Lonely Planet Bonaire Dive book was a little more helpful. Either one though is a must.

As far as food, everyone's tastes and preferences are different but I second Bobbi Jans. It is casual and it is meat - not the first choice I think for a vegetarian. It is the first place we hit when we arrive and as mentioned above it is only open on the weekends. We also like Pasa Bon but take out only. We ate at D&G last trip and we thought it was the best meal we have ever had on the Island. We also enjoy Mona Lisa. We also enjoyed our sunset meal at La Guerinca sitting outside eating tapas (although we never seem to see anyone mention it when asked where they like to eat).

Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom