Bonaire or Cabo San Lucas/La Paz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubachica

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Will probably be heading to one of these destinations in the next couple of days. Anyone been to both of these places and have an opinion on which one is better? We typically like a mix of things to see; pelagics, macro life, corals, etc. I do understand that Bonaire will have more macro life & corals and Cabo/La Paz will have mostly larger marine life and not much in the way of corals. There's a lot on the board re: Bonaire but fewer reports on Cabo/La Paz. I'd love to get a comparison to help us decide on a final choice. Thx.

scubachica:
Will probably be heading to one of these destinations in the next couple of days. Anyone been to both of these places and have an opinion on which one is better? We typically like a mix of things to see; pelagics, macro life, corals, etc. I do understand that Bonaire will have more macro life & corals and Cabo/La Paz will have mostly larger marine life and not much in the way of corals. There's a lot on the board re: Bonaire but fewer reports on Cabo/La Paz. I'd love to get a comparison to help us decide on a final choice. Thx.

Well, my vote is for Bonaire, since im probably headed there this Christmas. I am myself considering Bonaire, Cozumel or one of the Caymans, but i have a link for you that you might find interesting:

Dive Destinations

I have been to Cabo but not to Bonaire so I can only give my opinions on Cabo.

Now is the best time to dive Cabo- the water is the warmest and the viz is supposed to be the best. I imagine the conditioins in Bonaire are a little more iffy because of the hurricane season. Around Cabo San Lucas, there is great diving that is a 5 min boat ride- around El Arco. I got to dive with sea lions, and there were many many schools of fish, lobster, some small sharks, and there is a famous site called the falls which is rather deep, but it is basically a sand falls which look like water falls. At Cabo Pulmo, the marine reserve about a 2 hour drive from Cabo (and well worth it) is phenomenal. We missed the big animals, but there were plenty of rays, turtles, tons of fish and some fun drifting. We also were probably the only ones in the water. Pepe's operation there is great.

Topside, Cabo is fantastic and is not solely a dive location. There is excellent food (don't miss the ceasar salad at The Office), fun bars, lots of watersports, tons of fancy resorts, dirt bikes, horseback riding, fishing, surfing (on the pacific side), beautiful beaches, etc, etc. It's a fun town, but very touristy- not your typical city in Mexico.

Bonaire is easily the best dive destination I have ever been too.
The life was fantastic and the amount of plant, sponge and reef life wonderful.
But what I found best of all was that you could shore dive, shore dive, shore dive forever and ever. No expensive boat trips necessary and every day was a little 'mini adventure'. You just bought an unlimited air package ($75-100 per week) and dived until you could dive no more. You just get a truck, throw the tanks in the back, drive round the island, map/dive book in hand until you see a 'dive site marker' then out you get, you swim out to the nearest buoy and then descend onto some of the most fab dives sites I have seen.

Downside: there is very little else on Bonaire. A few bars, resturants and that's about it. If you are dive-a-holics this will be enough for you (you will be tired anyway) if not perhaps you would be disappointed.

I vote for Bonaire! We have been going for over 20 years, and there is more to do on Bonaire, you just have to look for it, or ask!!!! The diving is not only fantastic, Ivan, believe it or not caused NO DAMAGE to the reefs! They say they are in good shape. Anyway, other things to do??? Horseback riding, mangrove kayaking, windsurfing (they give lessons), powersailing, hiking, mountain biking, etc. They also have a pamphlet that you can get when you arrive that tells you what is going on when you arrive. Artist's showings, festivals, symposiums, I mean, a lot. FYI...the coral spawning is taking place the first week in October, the International Sailing Regatta is this month (boat races, parade, party, festivals)...so much to do.. oh I almost forgot, Sunset cruises, deep sea fishing, day trips to Curacao for shopping.... and the list can go on and on if you just look or inquire! Stop by at TCB (Tourism Corporation of Bonaire) in Town and they will let you know everything that is going on.

Liz

Cabo: Great place to party, diving is alright.

I have not been to Bonaire. However, I have heard nothing but rave reviews of the diving there.

Bonaire is heaven on earth!!! I was just there in July and am already planning my next trip! Shore diving rocks there! :eyebrow:
One of the friendliest places! Lots to do besides diving...The Mt biking is unreal..singletrack heaven in the natl park!!

Hi,

When do you think the best month to dive in Bonaire is? Are there any large fish/animals?

Thanks,
Leslie

Hey Drewpy want to co-ordinate trips? Unless something changes, we will be heading back in June/July 05. I usually set dates around late Jan or early Feb

Back
Top Bottom