Bonaire OR Liveaboard?

Bonaire OR Liveaboard

• Bonaire

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Caribbean Liveaboard

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

del_mo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
The Mrs. and I can't decide on our "big" dive trip. We have neither been to Bonaire nor on a liveaboard. We want to dive; eating and sleeping will be secondary. Bonaire has an edge in cost, ranging from about $500 to $1000 total depending on which Caribbean liveaboard we would choose. So, what do you think?

Okay, I haven't been to Bonaire, but after doing my first liveaboard, I'm hooked! We actually were contemplating this same choice for next year, and decided on the liveaboard, hands down.

For me the liveaboard takes the edge everytime over land-based diving, if diving is the #1 thing you want to do. Once you get on the boat, you unpack and set up your gear once. The routine after you get up in the morning is: eat, go to a dive briefing, gear up, fall off the boat....repeat as desired. Not only will the boat usually move during lunch so you dive 2 sites a day, but depending on the itinerary, you may be going to sites where dayboats can't, which gives you a more pristine reef, and you'll be the only boat there.

I think you are comparing apples and oranges.

Bonaire is basically unrestricted shore diving. You could do a boat dive but why?? There are over 60 sites you can shore dive. To me, the idea is the freedom of time and movement and saving expense.

A liveaboard does give you the option to set the amount of diving you do but you dont get to pick the places and your geographical area of movement (boats are small) is very limited.

I have no doubt you will enjoy whichever you choose.....but regardless of which you do choose.....dont forget to try the other one another time.

Lots of variables here, and it's sort of hard to compare the two experiences. With Bonaire, you have to lug your gear around and set it up repeatedly, but then this is the way for about every shore dive I have ever seen. You usually don't have this problem with liveaboards, as you set up your gear once and then it stays in place for the rest of the trip. (Although there are exceptions to this...) If maximum convenience and pure diving availability are what you want, then the liveaboards win hands down. But, if you want some shore activity and other diversions than diving or maybe fishing/kayaking/snorkling etc., then a land based operation like Bonaire is more your ticket. Then there is the question of what do you want to see? The land based operations are limited to what is close by them, unless you want to endure looong boat rides in relatively small boats (bounce-bang-bounce-bang-bounce-bang-oh goody, another wave over the rail and in your face:jpshakehe ). Liveaboards, on the other hand, can travel to areas that are rarely visited by any other means (although, some just hit the usual sites and stay there with everyone else...). It all comes down to what you want and what you are willing to pay for it. Some places, like Bonaire, are shore based only ( well, mostly shore based- sue me) and other places are not accessible without a liveaboard or some such arrangement. Do I sound biased here? Noooo, not me.:D I am just lazy, and liveaboards just fit me to a T. Other strokes for other folks. Figure out what you want, and then go for it. Woody

This isn't going well! This was supposed to be an easy question with an obvious answer. Silly me. Maybe that's why we can't decide!

I never been to bonaire and olso never been on a liveaboard but I do know that liveaboard is nothing for me because I cant sleep on a boat so I will not get enough of sleep to dive much. So I only take vacations when I can sleep in a hotel or at a camping site.
Hope It will help with your dicision

The simple thing to do would be do both and just flip a coin to decide which to do first.

Personally, I'd pick the liveaboard as diving would be my primary interest on the trip.

Where would you go on the live-aboard? Bonaire is great; go at your own pace, often will have the dive site to yourself 4-5 dives per day is easy SI is spent moving between sites. If you go to Bonaire buy heavy soled dive booties some of the entries are tough on the feet. Here is a trip report and slide show. To view the slide show you will need to "sign up for free".

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=97803&highlight=bonaire+a+la+carte

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow.html?fl=2307605&alb=0

We love live-aboards, again most do 4-5 dive per day but there is not much to do in between besides nap, read and eat. That said all our upcoming trips are 7-10 day live-aboards.

Back
Top Bottom