Bonaire trade winds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cpace

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I will be on Bonaire for the first time in early June. I understand that trade winds, generally from the from the E, blow year round for the most part. The trade winds appear to peak in June (Windfinder.com - Wind and weather statistic Bonaire Airport). A couple of question:

1) Are there certain dive sites (or areas) to avoid if the trade winds are blowing really strong?

2) Is the underwater viz affected by strong trade winds?

1) Avoid the east (windward) side of the island. Some of the very southern sites may also be problematic.
2) Not for most of the (west side) sites. Waves arriving from the west due to distant storms are a larger factor.

It blows here year round from what I can tell. I think the 10 day forecast is for 20-25mph winds every day. I don't see that it affects the diving, since I haven't dove when there is NO wind. :) All the dive sites (relatively speaking) are on the west side which is wind protected. That's why it's the destination it is. I'm here now....

You can have 6-8' breakers on the east side, and dead flat on the west side.

East side,
IMG_8296.JPG

West side,
IMG_8506.JPG

The only time in 25 + trips that I've experienced no or very little wind was in September. 2 weeks of very low, 5 mph or less everyday.

Back
Top Bottom