Bonaire Trip Report - 9/13/20/2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Papa Steve

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Travel:
Ike changed our plans to fly through Houston on the Friday redeye. Had to travel down via the Saturday redeye out of Newark. We had a 7 hour layover in Newark which made for some killer jetlag by the time we finally got to Bonaire on Sunday morning.

We stayed at Den Leman. I have nothing bad to stay about them or Bonaire Dive and Adventure. Everything was first class. Very nice rooms, very friendly people, and a nice, efficient dive operation.

Both my wife and I did a half day underwater photography class at Fish-eye photo which is located there on the premises. The class included several hours of instruction, the rental of a camera (if needed) and a photo dive with the instructor. Not only was he able to put us on a frog fish but was able to review our pics right there on the dive and recommend some setting or composition changes right there on the spot. For those wanting to try underwater photography, it’s worth the $75.00. For those with a modest amount of experience it would probably be mostly review.

The required reef orientation turned out to be about a 1 ½ hour Bonaire island orientation. It was mostly helpful information but probably pretty painful for those who’ve been to the island before.

Diving:
We didn’t get to get in as many dives as I had hoped. It sucks getting old. The serious jetlag, a half day of being a little under the weather, and the fact that it was an anniversary celebration did cut into our dive time a little. But it was all good . . no regrets. All time away from work with my sweetie is good time.
We Dived:

Bari three times – our orientation dive, our photography class dive, and a night dive. Though all dives were good, it’s a little ironic that we dived this the most and it was my least favorite dive. We did enjoy diving with the Tarpons on the night dive.
coral-anenome.jpg

Angel City – my favorite. Just an awesome dive enhanced with probably the best viz of the trip.
french.jpg

Windsock - good dive
Karpata – second favorite. We were psyched out about the entry from our research. The surf was calm and the wind from the right direction made it a no-brainer. It was actually one of our easier entries.
yellowtail.jpg

Hilma Hooker – right behind Karpata in our list of favorites. Had a close encounter with a Barracuda in the sand in the shallows just off of the reef. We went around him. He didn’t seem to be in the mood to give up his spot.
Buddy’s reef – not too different than Bari but this is where we saw the Goliath Grouper.
Invisibles – went down to the sand flats looking for Ray’s. No luck . . .but still a great dive.
Alice in Wonderland – also went looking for Ray’s . . no luck. There’s also some nice coral up in the shallows so we came up off the reef a little early and spent a lot of time in the shallows snapping pics and shooting some video. Got some nice video swimming along side a squid. Spending half the dive in the shallows gave us a nice 70 minute dive.

Dining:
We hit the grocery store and pretty much did breakfast and lunch in our room.

We ate dinner three times at the Sunset there at Den Leman. We wanted to hit as many places as possible but their nightly specials were always something we wanted to have. Wednesday lobster night was great. Their desserts, however, were a little disappointing. (Fortunately, Lover’s Ice Cream was just a few hundred feet away) Overall the food was great, though a little on the high side.
denleman-restaurant.jpg

Hilltop – Just north of town about 5 km’s from Buddy’s. I had the pork chops. They were awesome. This was a great meal for the price. We both had a great dinner for around $20.00 total. I had to ask them to double check the bill since I thought they undercharged us. We got there about 5:30. They did not start serving dinner until 6:00. We were going to have to pass since we were meeting some people later for a night dive. They gladly opened the kitchen early for us. Good people.

Papaya Moon. Probably the best meal of the week. I had steak and my wife had the shrimp enchiladas. The Crème Brule and the Raspberry/Lemon Tiramisu was to die for. Ray, a fellow San Antonian, was a great host.

Bobbejans- The ribs were awesome. I wish they were open more than the weekend.

Rose’s – in Rincon – My wife had the fried fish. I had the beef stew. Great food, great atmosphere, great people, and a cool ride to Rincon on our rented scooter.

Bugs- we were prepared for the worst. I never saw, or felt a bug. I guess the wind is usually down in September. Most days there was a fairly decent breeze out of the east or the southeast. It was my first trip so I don’t have anything to compare it to. But we had no bug problems.

Coolest stuff underwater:
Frog fish at Bari.
frogfish.jpg

Squid at Invisibles
squid.jpg

The tarpon hunting off our lights at Bari and hanging out at Hilma Hooker
tarpon.jpg

Large Eel at Windsock
eel.jpg

The Hilma Hooker – just a pretty ominous site seeing that large wreck appear out of the blue

Coolest stuff above water:
Experiencing the unique, blended culture of the Dutch Caribbean
ang-flamingos.jpg

Cruising the east side of the island on a scooter.
scooter.jpg

Rincon
IMG_0592.jpg

The cool birds – The love birds and the Orioles mostly to the north and the Pelicans and the Flamingos mostly to the south.
oriole.jpg

We're already planning our next trip. Actually we were trying to find a way to stay while we were still there.

glad it worked out bro, was worried for ya there for a while with all the bad weather you had to deal with on the front end. hopefully i won't have those problems when i leave for Bonaire in a couple of weeks...

Sounds like you had a great trip, inspite of how it began. :D Reading your report made me feel like I was there again, and ours ended exactly the way yours did....talking about another trip....which we've already scheduled for next summer! :wink:

The orientation at Bonaire Dive and Adventure is just NUTS!

We had a group in which all but one person had been to Bonaire multiple times.

After almost two hours we just left. They were not even close to being through.

1/2 hour tops is all they need.

Thnx for the report

Ok - now I'm ABSOLUTELY lathering at the mouth and nose!

Steve, that was a super trip report and I'm going to suggest my group read it when I send them a few last minute items tomorrow before we go to Bonaire on Friday/Saturday. I'm a seminar coordinator for a group that does programs for the medical profession and I'm going there with a goodly crew of about 50 divers
/ doctors / nurses. Your report and the great photos / recommendations / sites will raise the frequency to a fever pitch! We have divers from 2500+ to just certified and you've given a bit of something for everyone!
Thanks and I hope I can meet you some day!!
Chris from Pasco

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom