Bonaire Trip Report and Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course it comes to me later - that is a sharpnosed puffer. I jokingly refer to them as hummingbirds of the reef, sooo tiny, sooo cute (if a fish can be described as 'cute')and you got a great shot! Not a highjack at all, always interested in what folks are using. Currently shooting Canon G9, Canon housing, P&S w/ Sea and Sea strobes for 3rd year. Probably time to get the housing for our DSLR Canon, haven't had enough time to develop UW photo skills to a level that will justify spending the money, at least for me. I'd really like to find someone local to mentor my photo quest, my buddy has done wonders for my diving skills, but leaves the camera stuff to me.

Jersey, if you're interested in improving your photo skills, next time you're on Bonaire, do a 2 or 3 day photo course with Tim at Fish Eye Photo. He is an AMAZING instructor, giving you both above and below water mentoring. His skills at helping you understand and improve while UNDERwater is fantastic and you'll learn more in those 2 or 3 days with Tim than you can believe.

Jersey, if you're interested in improving your photo skills, next time you're on Bonaire, do a 2 or 3 day photo course with Tim at Fish Eye Photo. He is an AMAZING instructor, giving you both above and below water mentoring. His skills at helping you understand and improve while UNDERwater is fantastic and you'll learn more in those 2 or 3 days with Tim than you can believe.

I've heard only good things about him and Fish Eye is just about next door. May need to send the buddy off to dive with some friends and I'll go take pretty pics. Going thru old photos last night and ability has increased, but I'm old and impatient and like anything else one needs to practice constantly to get good. Wonder what my Y would say if I showed up with gear, threw some objects in pool and started taking pictures?

Love the blue chromis picture with the orange background -- really nice capture!

I love all the fish identification comments. At some point, I tried staring at the faded chart outside of BD&A, but it was pretty overwhelming with all the variety of fish in Bonaire. We usually resorted to vague descriptions and making up our own names for what we saw. For example, "hummingbird fish" and "those really, really blue fish that are hard to photograph" :)
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

I love all the fish identification comments. At some point, I tried staring at the faded chart outside of BD&A, but it was pretty overwhelming with all the variety of fish in Bonaire. We usually resorted to vague descriptions and making up our own names for what we saw. For example, "hummingbird fish" and "those really, really blue fish that are hard to photograph" :)

Know the feeling. We take the Paul Humann books with us - Reef Fish, Reef Creatures and Fish Behavior. They are particularly helpful in ID'ing while off gasing. Having a decent visual to use as reference helps, and my last resort is to show my picture to someone who may know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom