Bonaire vs Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cozumel and Bon aire were both on my "must dive" list. Cozumel was dissappointing on a 30 diver cattle boat and diving in swift current with neat sights passing by like on a fast train. It was real difficult to even rally buddies to share sights. My good friends told that on their last trip me their boat almost left a dive master in the water, he was a half mile away when Karen spotted him.

Bonaire was great, we stayed at Buddy dive and had unlimited tanks and a pickup for less cost than a package of boat dives, so many dive sights to choose from, all were good, some required a bit of swimming to get out but well worth it. We got to spend as little or as much time as we wished anywhere we went, which included sightseeing on the island. Our resort had breakfast included plus kitchenettes and we made sandwiches for lunch and ate out most nights. Our last day, before flying, we explored the island the south east shore was great and the normal surf was down, I only wish we were still diving... maybe we'll get over there on the next trip, There will be another trip to Bonaire.

Next month is Roatain

Cozumel does not have to be a cattle boat experience. My son and I had a great time diving on fast boats with no more than 6 divers (usually 4) with Aldora Divers. We also had a great time diving with them at Dos Ojos on the mainland.

We've had a great time staying at Sand Dollar and diving with Bonaire Dive & Adventure three times. The house reef, Bari, is fantastic.

Good diving, Craig

A further note for Bonaire, on the shore diving, all around the Island there are small rocks that are painted yellow with the name of the dive site painted over the yellow. The wall is only 100 t0 150 yards off shore, so easy access. (No sand, very rocky egress and ingress) Also there is an air fill station. We stayed at Buddy Dive which came with a little pickup truck with tank racks in the back. You just go to this drive through station, show your C-card they load you up and off you go. We found the food to be just okay, there was an Italian restaurant in town that was very good $$. The owner came out and sat with us to go over the wine selection which was huge. She was very helpful. The diving is outstanding, the coral is in excellent shape (keep your eyes open for the elusive frog fish.) Anyway, have fun, breath slow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom