Bonaire - where to stay with 10yo new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another one you might want to add to your list is Divi Flamagio, they have 2 nice pools, good dive shop, several good restaurants and are located easy walk into town. One of their docks is being rebuilt at this time but otherwise it's a nice place. Just got back on Sat so the report is recent.

Another one you might want to add to your list is Divi Flamagio, they have 2 nice pools, good dive shop, several good restaurants and are located easy walk into town. One of their docks is being rebuilt at this time but otherwise it's a nice place. Just got back on Sat so the report is recent.

Did you happen to do AI at Divi and how would you compare their house reef compared to Bari?

I am not sure that Divi actually does AI. In any case, their house reef does not compare to Bari which is one of the best in the Caribbean.

They do all inclusive, foods pretty good. Don't think alcohol is included but that might be a option, we just walk to the grocery and buy beer. There are a couple of wine shops within walking distance as well. Food wise, Divi has a better selection on site and some great places a close walk, Buddy or Capt Dons each have a good rest but without a truck you are more limited as you have to drive into town. Not a difficult thing since it's only a few miles but still less convenient, esp if you don't know the island well. As side note, where ever you stay, getting a truck the last day when you can't dive is a great way to see the rest of the island.
As for the reef, having dove both in recent years, I would say they are about the same. There was a seahorse at Divi last week, Several saw octopus. I haven't dove Bari in a couple years but we did dive small wall up to Capt Dons which is basically the north end of Bari, so I did see the north end of it last week. I have a lot of dives on Bari and on the island, bottom line, either would be good, esp for a new diver.

They do all inclusive, foods pretty good. Don't think alcohol is included but that might be a option, we just walk to the grocery and buy beer. There are a couple of wine shops within walking distance as well. Food wise, Divi has a better selection on site and some great places a close walk, Buddy or Capt Dons each have a good rest but without a truck you are more limited as you have to drive into town. Not a difficult thing since it's only a few miles but still less convenient, esp if you don't know the island well. As side note, where ever you stay, getting a truck the last day when you can't dive is a great way to see the rest of the island.
As for the reef, having dove both in recent years, I would say they are about the same. There was a seahorse at Divi last week, Several saw octopus. I haven't dove Bari in a couple years but we did dive small wall up to Capt Dons which is basically the north end of Bari, so I did see the north end of it last week. I have a lot of dives on Bari and on the island, bottom line, either would be good, esp for a new diver.
Great, thanks for all this info. We don't drink much anyway and that's especially true when I'm diving everyday. We would rent a truck as we plan on shore diving while kids are getting certified the first couple of days. We figure after certification, we could do the house reef followed by boat dives and then maybe some easy shore dives with them at the end of the week. My hope is that Divi's dock will be fixed by next Spring, the other option I'm considering is the Plaza. We walked through Divi when we did a snorkeling tour with Woodwind (we heard they wouldn't be operating out of there anymore) and the grounds looked resort-ish enough for our kids with pools and grounds to explore, etc.

I think you should look at Hamlet Oasis. Next to Buddy Dive but a condo and has a pool and dive shop (Dive Friends) on site with a really good house reef at 40ft (The Cliff) for diving - also great for snorkeling too.
Fully agree here - we were in I think #10 which is right in front of the pin for cliff. Dive Friends was a short walk at the end of the units and were great. We rented a minivan (had 6 of us - some divers, some not) and had a great week. My boys were advanced divers but 14/16 and daughters (non-divers) loved snorkeling. There were squid and sea turtles just off the entry (can't really call it a beach).

I agree with the DIVI recommendation. Been staying there for years. It would be a great property for kids, and for completing checkout dives. My daughters did their open water certification there. The water in front of the hotel is like a bathtub, and there is a good house reef. All-inclusive isn't necessary as there are so many restaurants and town a short walk away. About 5 grocery stores are also walking distance. If you stay in the "Studio" rooms (the timeshare units that they also rent out as hotel rooms), they have a fully equipped kitchenette. We usually buy supplies and make our own breakfast/lunch, then hit the town for dinner.

Don't know for how long but Woodwind was def operating out of there last week, saw the cat several times at the dock.

I agree with the DIVI recommendation. Been staying there for years. It would be a great property for kids, and for completing checkout dives. My daughters did their open water certification there. The water in front of the hotel is like a bathtub, and there is a good house reef. All-inclusive isn't necessary as there are so many restaurants and town a short walk away. About 5 grocery stores are also walking distance. If you stay in the "Studio" rooms (the timeshare units that they also rent out as hotel rooms), they have a fully equipped kitchenette. We usually buy supplies and make our own breakfast/lunch, then hit the town for dinner.
If I go DIY (hit VDT, make some meals, dishes) then what are the benefits of Divi over Sand Dollar which also has a pier, Dive Friends, and good house reef?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom