Bonaire - Which is your preferred area to stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SayNo2Snow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
  • My hubby and I are planning our next dive vacation and hope you can help us decide where on the island is the best to stay. Here is a list of our "must haves"
    We will rent a car so getting around is not an issue.

These were the areas listed on VRBO that we would want to consider: Belnem;Hato;Kralendijk;Nawati;Sabadeco;Santa Barbara; or Sorobon
  • We want a one bedroom apartment/condo/beach bungalow type of accomodation that has a full kitchen - no hotels for us
  • It must be affordable; ($165 or less/night)
  • It must be beachfront. (ocean not a lagoon or waterway)
  • Must have excellent shore diving nearby9either a house reef or close
· .... Also is does one side of the island stand out for having more premier better dive sites ?

Many thanks for your feedback!!
Ann & Lorne

There is only one side of Bonaire that is regularly dove so the west side is a given. I would suggest you not bother with areas as they are little more than a general area of town but rather concentrate on the resorts/condos themselves. By "beachfrount" do you mean you must be able to see the water well from your room or does that mean that the propertly in located on the ocean. Also, do you want food within easy walking distance or is it OK to have to drive a short distance (1-5 miles). When considering anyplace be sure to compair apples to apples. Some places have packages that incude breakfast/diving/vehicle while others inlcude varying items. I assume the $165 is per room, not per person. When looking at packages, many add mulitple boat dives, these can be dropped if you ask, reducing your cost by $150-200 PP.

Reactions: gbf
  • My hubby and I are planning our next dive vacation and hope you can help us decide where on the island is the best to stay. Here is a list of our "must haves"
    We will rent a car so getting around is not an issue.

These were the areas listed on VRBO that we would want to consider: Belnem;Hato;Kralendijk;Nawati;Sabadeco;Santa Barbara; or Sorobon
  • We want a one bedroom apartment/condo/beach bungalow type of accomodation that has a full kitchen - no hotels for us
  • It must be affordable; ($165 or less/night)
  • It must be beachfront. (ocean not a lagoon or waterway)
  • Must have excellent shore diving nearby9either a house reef or close
· .... Also is does one side of the island stand out for having more premier better dive sites ?

Many thanks for your feedback!!
Ann & Lorne

This is Beachcomber Villas. I believe it hits all our points, and I can't say enough good things about Tim, Leanne, and their place.

Hato Vacation Rental - VRBO 350432 - 1 BR Bonaire Apartment, Diving at Your Doorstep* Seafront Vacation Apartment Rental

+1 for Beachcombers Villa, Tim and Leanne. Tell them Lisa sent you. Go with Dive Friends for unlimited air/nitrox. Its just a few doors down and has great access to the Cliff as a house reef. Feel free to pm me any questions. Here is the view from the villa this past March.

IMG_3696.jpg

Thank you Herman, Lisa & GBf - your information is greatly appreciated. Incidently I bookmarked the Beachcomber Villa you mentioned while I was looking at properties on VRBO last night

Herman to answer your inquiry,
yes the property needs to be on the waterfront, we love to sit near it gaze out and forget about the snow at home

For meals and dining we generally make our own breakfasts and dine out at restaurants for dinner about 1/2 the time. So driving that 1 - 5 miles is exactly what we would anticipate to get to restaurants... walking distance is a definate bonus!
I do enjoy cooking and grocery shopping - being able to buy fresh caught fish directly from the fishermen or grilled chicken etc. from local street vendors in town is part of our vacation experience

Also our budget of $165 or less would be per night, not per person.

I generally avoid packaged deals such as "unlimited air" as they tend to only be an advantage if you are doing 3+ dives per day.
We generally stick to 2 dives per day, in the morning then spend the afternoon, exploring or relaxing.

We visited Curacao in Feb/March and really enjoyed the shore diving there. We also did some boat diving, the boat diving is great for accessing dive sites where the shore entry is pretty rough and rugged.

again thans for you assistance as I keep researching our next escape from winter (next Jan - March time)
Ann

Here's another enthusiastic vote for Beachcomber Villas. It's worth mentioning that the they actually have 2 apartments (VRBO policy only permits them to advertise 1 apartment.) More info on apartment layout and amenities is available on the regular Beachcomber Villas website.

We've stayed at BCV twice, for 3 weeks each stay, and have our next visit booked. Like you we prefer to cook in the apartment. We couldn't afford to stay on Bonaire for 3 weeks if we went out to eat every night. These apartments have everything you need to cook, including spices, foil, and paper towels etc. And if you require something else Leanne will have it for you before the words are hardly out of your mouth (gbf and ufcnp, you guys know exactly what I'm talking about!) There's even a Weber propane BBQ on the terrace, which is very rare for Bonaire rentals. Leanne is also an expert resource for shopping for food. Availability of many items on the island changes frequently. She can advise where to find the best meat or produce on any particular day.

For what it's worth, we've been visiting Bonaire regularly since 1996 and have stayed at 7 or 8 different properties. We've got a pretty good idea of what's available on Bonaire and are happy to look elsewhere when a more attractive opportunity presents itself. I frequently read reviews of rentals or resorts where people say "We've stayed there every time we've visited the island, and we'd never stay anywhere else." I appreciate the enthusiasm, but in general I don't trust those reviews because I think they lack perspective and objectivity. That's not how we roll. I spend way too much time between trips reading forums like this, and I'll be damned if I can find anything else quite like BCV. The reviews on their web page and VRBO site pretty much speak for themselves.

Our diving pace is similar to yours and I've worked the cost vs. value math previously from several angles. You can get a discount on a Dive Friends Bonaire dive package when booking it though Beachcomber Villas. It's currently $144 for 6 days of unlimited air or nitrox, which works out to $12/tank if you plan to dive twice a day. It's not advertised on the DFB website, but you can purchase a 15 tank card for $150 if you're staying 10 days or more on Bonaire. That's only $10/tank, but things get more complicated if you don't use all 15 tanks or if you use the card up before the end of your trip. There's no provision for ala carte tank rental with DFB. The only ala carte offering I've found on Bonaire is Carib Inn, where you pay $13/day for a full tank with $6 refills. The downside with Carib Inn is that there's only one location, it's on the south side of town, and you have to wait for them to refill your assigned tank. DFB has 5 locations, including one very close to BCV. You just swap your empty tank for a full one and away you go.

At the end of each day we look forward to enjoying cold drinks and conversation on the BCV oceanfront terrace as the sun sets over the ocean. As the BCV fans know, Tim & Leanne affectionately refer to this daily ritual as "sundowners". We've done this 42 times now, and it never gets old. Enjoy your trip to Bonaire.

Sundowner (Small).jpg

wwguy has it.

There are lots of good places to stay on Bonaire at all kinds of price points. We've stayed at a bunch of them, and they were good. But nowhere else has Tim and Leanne. I joked with my wife after our last trip: "if you want it done perfectly, see Tim. If you want it done before you can even ask, see Leanne." You should have seen him painting a door. You'd have thought his name was Michel and he was painting a ceiling somewhere.

Ann, I have a document that is notes and observations from our trips to bon. I did it for a first-timer friend, and it is just my opinions. I've sent it to several people, no idea if it was actually helpful or if anybody agreed with me.
But, if you want it PM an email address and I'll send it to you.

I remember our first trip to Bon - my girls were young and it was magic. I'm envious of you.

brad

We prefer to find a condo/house by owner. Seems to be the same or less expensive, nicer and we get a full kitchen we do this in Hawaii, too.

We stayed at Buddy Dive 2 trips and loved it for one reason in particular.........
The HOUSE REEF is fantastic! We did at least 1 dive per day there, sometimes 2 dives, then did the rest of our diving at other shore dives or boat dives. Really, the House Reef in front of Buddy Dive gives you all the same stuff you see everywhere else, every dive you find something new to enjoy. Can't say enough about it.

I have trip reports and tons of videos and photos:

Trip report: http://www.rnrscuba.net/2011_Bonaire/2011_Bonaire_TripReport.html

[vimeo]22313769[/vimeo]
shore diving at Buddy Dive

ALL videos from our last trip:
https://vimeo.com/album/1573578

and one video from our 1st trip:
[vimeo]3273329[/vimeo]

Thanks a bunch you guys - This is great stuff and we are certainly sundowner ritual types... which is generally why we never seem to get to night dives. The topside recreation tends to interfere :cheers:
The tank rental info is valuable.
gbf - I will certainly PM you for your tip sheet.

Also we've traveled this way to Roatan, Abergris Caye, Westpunt, Akumal and Xcalak MX so if any would like some detail on places to stay and other detail I'd be happy to reciprocate

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom