Bonanza at Ft. Weatherill 4-6-2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tampico_ED

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

RIO and myself decided to take advantage of the weather break. We met at the second parking lot in the Ft. We heard good vis from divers coming out of the water and got excited.

Once in the water RIO started to scream out loud !! It is cold it is cold....I'm getting water in my Drysuit. Well, he basically had his inflation valve gone. So, I had to proceed myself with a Solo dive.

Without the extra drag from my quick dive buddy. I spent some quality time around the wall 50ft....and found myself with.....see by yourself....

DSC_5232_edited-1-1.jpg

DSC_5218.jpg

DSC_5185.jpg

DSC_5192_edited-1.jpg

DSC_5193_edited-1.jpg

DSC_5197.jpg

DSC_5209_edited-1.jpg

Wow !! Nudibrachs at the FT and colored ones 2. We gotta get out there soon. Real nice,\ pics and some of the best Ive ever seen at the FT.

Why have I never seen a nudi at Ft Wetherill? Is the bonanza you are referring to a "nudibranch bonanza?"

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
Why have I never seen a nudi at Ft Wetherill?

You just weren't diving the right time of year. They are mostly around late winter/early spring.

So to elaborate on what Ed was saying happened to me.

The retaining ring that holds the front of the drysuit inflator to the threaded sheath that lets you screw it into the back of the valve on the other side of the suit and still swivel cracked. This caused the front of the valve to pull right out of the swivel sheath but left the rest of the valve still connect to the suit. Essentially this opened a big inch in diameter hole in the front of my drysuit. Talk about a fast flood. And in 39 degree water it wasn't a bit comfy.

Needless to say I didn't make the dive, but I got a new valve over at Ocean State for $50 so I am back in business. Luckily he had one sitting right in the case so I didn't even have to order it. :D

RIOceanographer:
Essentially this opened a big inch in diameter hole in the front of my drysuit. Talk about a fast flood. And in 39 degree water it wasn't a bit comfy.

Needless to say I didn't make the dive, but...

I thought you were tougher than that...

Wow, what a day! ... Last time my buddies and i were at the Fort the viz was so bad all we took was a 100' dive.... 50 feet out, 50 feet back. Viz was, literally, zero. Used the afternoon to practice our "don't drown on the surface" skills. :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom