Bonne Terre Mine, MO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raviepoo

Contributor
Reaction score
in exile in the Pennsyltucky Archipellago
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone ever been there? Rodales listed it as the best dive in the state. I don't trust Rodales because I know that advertising is their bread and butter. But my mom lives in St. Louis and I wouldn't mind diving when I go to visit her. Can anyone tell me anything about diving the mine?

I did it with a friend a year or so ago. I woudn't go back or recommend it to anyone. They lead you, hold the lights, and choose the route. I could understand a dive guide, but 2000+ dives ago I got over being herded. To top it all off it is more expensive than good off-shore dive trips.

pretty much the same as what dkigreg said from others. I had thought about going and changed my mind after hearing that.

There are others on the board who have gone and really liked it.

The water temp is 58 if memory serves me.

Also it may give you some sense of what cave diving is like if you are interested.

The water is a constant 58F - cold. Do wear a hood if you go. There is not alot to see, and the rates are high. I took my son last year and we did some consecutive dives. Each time that you do a section of the mine you then are allowed to dive in other sections if the D.M. is going to another area. There is a D.M. at the front and back of each dive, and no cameras were allowed on our first dive, and no lights are to be carried by divers other than the D.M.s I'm glad I did it but would'nt say it was great, just another notch in my log book. The whole thing is kind of odd. One of the most interesting parts is when you see this little building top side and after you enter, how the stairs lead down under ground and then the huge room that opens up, the mine seems quite large.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac:boom:

When my wife and I went there were 10 different subterranean "trails". You had to do # 1 before you could do #2, #2 before #3, etc. They are very extremely safety conscious. It is a considerable distance to hike down into the mine to where the diving platform is and then of course you need to hike back up and out again.

The year long water temperature is around 58 deg F and the visability when we were there was 200ft +. We found it very interesting and are glad we went but would not want to make a steady diet of it it. I would go back again if we are ever in the St Louis area again just because it is so unusual.

Rickg

I was at the mine once, it’s an experience you should try, it is something you will never forget. You may not want to dive it all the time but I believe everyone should experience cold water, ice, Calf. Kelp, salt water(cold & warm). These are times you will remember for the rest of your live:)

They charge so much and their guide is crappy. The air quality in the tanks in doubtful since everyone felt dizzy an hour after the dive and skipped the second dive.

It is a thrill to go there but you can't bring your own light and have to follow that stupid guide who goes as fast as hell in there...

Don't spend your money there. That's my opinion !

except I was sick (head cold) the week before I went. It was my dad and boyfriends first time, my second. Had we not already pre-paid (as they require) I would not have gone. The equip. they rented my boyfriend was AWFUL (Tattered suit, womens BC that did not fit, and he had to go through 4 sets of regs before he found one that worked properly), I got a sinus block about 1/2 way through the dive, my boyfriend was fighting his equipment, and dad could not stop a bloody nose, so we aborted the dive. We went back to the hotel, deciding the skip the 2nd dive...and fell assleep!! We paid about $750 plus lodging for one horrible dive!! Don't get me wrong, it has a time and a place, but the prices are not in line with the equipment, and the policy of no refunds is crazy. We'll never go back...

Shanna

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom