Book recomendation wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob_Harris

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good divers "Bible"?
I would like something which cove all aspects of recreational diving but preferably not aligned to any certification agency.

Bob

Amazon has it for $79.50...

ISBN: 0941332705

The Technical Diving Handbook??

ISBN: 1883056055

Encyclopedia of Scuba Diving from PADI is a good book for overall SCUBA information. Not real in depth but a good reference book.

Scott

Originally posted by O-ring
The Technical Diving Handbook??

ISBN: 1883056055

When I read it as a newbie a couple of years ago, I found it very interesting and it gave me a very broad feel of the tech arena. However, based on the plethora of tech info I've read from various sources since then, Gentile's book seems to me more like how to dive like a "pioneer" prior to guidelines and practices in place today... or maybe "junkyard" diving for tech divers. I don't really mean this in a mean way, but while it may have been groundbreaking when it was written, I would hesitate to recommend it today.

I heard him speak last fall on this book/topic. Needless to say, while a very personable guy, he hasn't updated any of the material, so I found myself involuntarily cringing throughout the seminar.

wb

Originally posted by roakey
Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving

http://www.gue.com/catalog/order

Roak

This book, as well as Tech 1 and Cave 1 manuals, are the books/manuals that I've found myself reading and re-reading over the past four months. Good information. Up-to-date references (as far as I can ascertain). Well laid out.

The only GUE material that I've been disappointed with was the 2002 Calendar. Size is too small. I have it hanging in my office at work, but have to have another calendar in the room so other people can reference dates for planning purposes. Not very functional... would be fine if it was left on a desk and read from less than 2 ft away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom