Book-?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone read this text: Mastering Rebreathers by Jeffrey E. Bozanic...??

It's an interesting book. Has sections on many models. I bought it as added info on my Drager.

A little dated, but I understand Jeff has been working on an update, recently.

It's a great study guide for the beginner and advanced rebreather diver alike - good theory, nice breakdowns, etc. The advertising section is somewhat annoying, but you can, of course, just skip that.

It's not a quick read - it's more of a study, and there's more than enough theory to actually understand what's going on. Frankly, I wish my TDI and IANTD books were as comprehensive or well written; even my trimix course's mathematics were more akin to "don't kill yourself" than actually working through the physics of what goes on...

Mastering Rebreathers is definitely where I'd start if I had to pick one book. Agree with Camerone that it's a little dated but it is still a very good book.

Besides a goofy looking front cover picture....and a printing date of 5/2002, I thought for $20.00/new it was a pretty good deal. :wink:

I've ordered one - are there any other books on rebreathers that are worth getting (and preferably more up to date)?

The library articles over on rebreather world, and rebreather manuals, are also a good read.

I have it and thought it was very informative. I knew a little about rebreathers from the web, but this puts it out there and is an actual published work so it has a lot more validity than the web. I definitely want to try out a Dolphin soon but wanted to get some background first...this provided enough to convince me that rebreathers have their place in diving and they aren't any more dangerous (in trained hands) than any other type of diving....but good training is a must at that level.

That was one of the books I read during my RB training. It was a good read with lots of information about various types of RBs. I will recommend it too.

Jeff's book has pretty much become the standard lecture on rebreathers, and is the NAUI textbook for their training classes. There were a couple of others that weren't bad but are all out of print. There have been lots of developments regrading new units hence books will only be up to date for a short time. The main item that has been lacking in "Mastering Rebreathers" was the Inspiration.

That unit is well covered in its own book, "Diving without bubbles". But again much of the progress, the Evolution CCR and the Vision electronics, isn't covered well. The book is mostly about the Classic Inspiration.

Another highly recommended lecture about rebreathers is
"A Learner's Guide To Closed-Circuit Rebreather Operations" by Richard L. Pyle.
It has been the guide for more than a decade.

I concur that book was a very nice start. When I last talked to Jeff, he had dropped the idea of putting out an updated 2cd edition, and instead doing a new book with expanded coverage for things like Trimix etc. He did not let on when it might go to print though.

I may be a bit biased though, given my Inspiration and Optima training were with Jeff. yes is it required reading for his course as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom