boot popping out while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krakilin

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I weigh 120lb and am 5'10. I wear a medium-tall novascotia semidry 6.5mm. It's too big but I plan to gain 20+/- pounds so ill fill it in soon enough. It still keeps me very warm.

During my dives it never fails that my left boot will pop out from under the seal and my foot will start to freeze. The semidry has that two seal thing where you put one flap into the boot and the other on the outside. I'm guessing that when i'm swimming about the suit rides up but it's odd that my right foot stays in.

Just thought I could get some advice. Maybe tie a rubber band around my ankle? Pull the suit down on my body before I descend?

I would think a rubber band will restrict circulation. Not good. Sounds like the seal is lose. Quite possible your left ankle is a little less in circumference then your right. Or the left seal is just larger. The seal needs to be customized.

I didn't even think about getting the seal tightened. I'll take it somewhere and ask them :D thanks!

My booties and ankles have zippers and Velcro closures.

How about a bicycle Velcro strap for your ankle?

Like a gaitor right? I'll experiment :D I actually just got back from a night dive at La Jolla Shores and my feet stayed secure and warm the entire dive! I need to start packing on the pounds though! Thanks for the quick responses guys :]

See what happens when the suit fits more better. Long long legs make that system more better. Dress to the right.

Do your boots fit up to the top where the two layers come together? I've never had a boot pop out. Or, are you getting air in your suit and is that what is forcing the ankle open? I know I sometimes end up with trapped air (I dive the same suit) and I go vertical to get it to come into my hood , then use my hands to push the air out.

Yeah the boots fit to the top where they come together.

That is really good advice about the trapped air! And that is probably what happens. I'll try that vertical trick next time I go out :D

Back
Top Bottom